Horn Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I scoured the web for about 20min looking for it, but looks like you out-Googled me. Thanks, it's a neat little program that I may yet use again.

You're welcome! Popped up first thing and immediately auto downloaded, so first thought was it's malware and hoped AVAST had dealt with it. For whatever reason, I've typically been able to find stuff either quickly and/or what others couldn't. Long time ago, me, Cal [moderator] and some others did an impromptu test where we all searched a number of same things and while I typically zero'd right to it, the others got totally different [often irrelevant] first page results.

Apparently, our personal search patterns dominates over what we're looking for, so guess I've done way more audio related searches than you since it's been a regular thing for me since Christmas '96.

GM

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Maybe this isn't the perfect place for this question, but it isn't big enough to deserve a dedicated thread and it does relate to OP mkane77g's interest in the conical and joshcpct's pointing out its poor low frequency loading weakness.
Looking at the popular and commercially successful Synergy horn, is it a mistake to see it as a conical with added LF drivers to overcome that weakness?

The way I understand the Synergy and its ilk, the main goal is to have a coincident source for all drivers, thus the integration on a single "horn". It's actually more of a waveguide with constant directivity (in general AFAIK) and thus does not have as good a loading as Exp or Trac horns, but a suitable Xover can easily be achieved because of the presence of midrange drivers.

Actually, strictly a waveguide [WG], though not as technically accurate or quite as good a performer as Dr. Geddes's oblate spheroid; the tapped in mid drivers fill in below the tweeter and woofers for the lows, so the original Synergy is a three way horn/WG.

GM

I'm guessing the error is worse the lower the number of petals.

You guess correctly :).

For the Tractrix12 default example with 3 petals:

Tractrix12 petal length = 110.17 cm
Hornresp petal length = 106.35 cm

Error = 3.6%

For the Tractrix12 default example with 20 petals:

Tractrix12 petal length = 110.17 cm (no change)
Hornresp petal length = 110.08 cm (close to the circular cross-section value used by Tractrix12)

Error = 0.1%

I get that part. My interest is in getting the clearance to firmly mount/bolt in the driver [...] Going through the work of building the horn and being locked into the first driver I choose to do it with seems an unnecessary limitation.
The trouble is I haven't figured out a solution I'm completely happy with . . . .yet.

I've been looking at similar solutions.

An off the shelf adapter (e.g 1.4" to 2") could be the least effort.

For this, I'd take the timber conical horn down to a throat that's just under 2", attach the adapter ~permanently to it, and then (carefully!) file & sand the wooden section to get a smooth transition from octagonal (or whatever) to round. That'd give a result similar to the horn in the first link - but without requiring a cast & shenanigans with molten aluminium.

The metal-timber joint would be the weak point, so I'd support the driver in a cradle or something.

Apparently, our personal search patterns dominates over what we're looking for, so guess I've done way more audio related searches than you since it's been a regular thing for me since Christmas '96.

Filter bubble - Wikipedia

Some browsers don't do this.

Regarding drivers, you need a low QTS driver. Something with a very powerful magnet with a rising frequency response, because the horn amplifies the lower midrange.

I think the low Qts thing is partly mythical.

I've tested two near-identical drivers on the same horn. They differed only in their magnet strength (one was faulty). They had exactly the same FR plot, just shifted by 2dB. See here:
Midrange (cone driver) horns; low relevance of magnet strength and Qts

This driver has a fairly high Qts and a rising response (on axis, anyway).
Audax PR170M0 6.5" Midrange - 100dB

It has been used on a fancy-looking horn (Jadis Eurythmie).

I have the wood for one conical 12 sided horn.The local cabinet maker lets me rummage thru his scrap. 4.5" wide hardwood boards 25" long will net me a 16.65" wide cone. Not dimensionally optimum side but what do I know. Just testing my woodworking skills. Alas, this project is on hold until our return from vacation. I need a router table amongst other things.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.