Can I replace the dust cap of a Markaudio alpair 10p?

Being the paper version, you might find you can pull the dustcap back into shape with some sticky tape, or poking the blunt end of a pencil through if the polepiece is vented.

You can also do it really carefully with a vacuum cleaner, or a needle with the point bent into a slight hook.

Just a couple of ideas. Try them at your own risk.

Chris

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Had this happen on a Eminence Alpha 15a. Only way I could get it back out was a vacuum...actually it took a pretty powerful shop vac for that driver. It was kind of dramatic, but it worked great and the speaker looked like new afterwards.

This is what I did...TRY AT YOUR SPEAKER'S OWN RISK.

If you try it, make sure you place the nozzle in contact with the dust cap dome BEFORE starting the vacuum.

Hopefully the nozzle you have is about the same size, or you should have a reducer or something to match the dust cap size.

Once the nozzle is seated in place against the dust cap as evenly as possible you can turn the vacuum on, or even better have someone assist you so you can hold the nozzle perfectly steady with two hands.

Do NOT pull on the suction nozzle of the vacuum when it is running. Let the vacuum completely cycle off before pulling the nozzle away so you don't over extend the speaker's suspension.

You may only have to flick the vacuum on and off very quickly for a more delicate speaker.

Obviously, this is just one option as was stated previously. I tried the tape method and it didn't accomplish anything except starting to tear at the fibers of the paper the cap was made of.

Good luck

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Pictures?

Pulling a pushed dustcap out almost always leaves it wrinkled and not at its best. If you can get it close — i recommend the pointy metal stick method — it will need reinforcement. I have done this using PVA based ModPodge (mind you only on the flimsier Fostex FE dustcaps, i’ve never damaged a Mark Audio dustcap just cones).

You could also try this trick — admittedly for Fostex FE, but i suggested it to a fellow in Sweden for his A7.3 (no word back, he did buy a set of A7.3eN): FE12x dustcap fix

dave

A7.3 in Sweden as Dave wrote about

Hi there, here comes some pictures and I just want to show my A7.3 with pushed in dustcaps. My grindchild 3 years old watched TV and suddenly the music stopped, so she pushed the "Button" several times on both drivers.....

I have tried Daves tips but the center cap is so stiff, escpecially when it´s already wrinkled. I think that it will cause more damage to fix it. Paper may work but metal is not easy to model in the way you want. Anyway I have a pair of Daves A7.3eN for my FH3s. Soundwise the old drivers are not so bad, but it will take a while for me to fix speaker covers.

Anders

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    256.1 KB · Views: 265
  • 2.png
    2.png
    279.4 KB · Views: 271
Anders,

If that trick did not work, then time for them to come off. Then build some phase plugs for them… even if just a felt plug.

dave

Thanks Dave, great idea. I´ll make som surgery and add a pair of black phase plugs.

Anders

Wait a second. I thought Mark had said that the dustcaps, on his metal coned drivers, are responsible for helping give them their high frequency extension?

Hi .. Attached is a pair of Alpair 7P speakers, where one of them got a dent when a kid poked his finger on it.
I tried to restore is by sticking a tape and pulling it out but it was not working and instead it was causing bad effect on the speaker paper.
Could you please suggest how to restore it.
Is a dent like this, a cosmetic issue or does it impacts its sound also?

Attachments

• 20210528_155257[1].jpg
    20210528_155257[1].jpg
    917.2 KB · Views: 153
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That one is bad enuff that you have to try making it concave or removing it. It may be possible to get a new dustcap from MA but i suspect that you won’t be able to get the glue off, making the fixed driver a different mass. I wil probably sound different.

Most drastic step, and possibly needed is a dustcapectomy. Then adding a phase plug or something to fill the hole will be needed. The top end will change.

This shows the concave dustcap thing.

FE12x dustcap fix

dave

The dust caps on those pictured MA drivers look like they're metal or some kind of composite based on the way they dented. I highly doubt they'll sound the same even after fully pushing out the dents. In the case of metal, it will never be as rigid as before and you would have annealed the material. Most of tge time that sort of cone will be glued with a UV cured adhesive, so its not going to come off without hurting the cone itself.

I understand accidents happen, but those dents are more than a curious slip of the finger. Those things are mutilated. At least I taught my son to never touch the guts of a speaker and he has never been tempted even though i always play mine with the grilles removed. I dont get it how parents can't teach their kids not to touch expensive stuff especially from a stranger. Hopefully that kid never comes into contact with a beryllium tweeter...