MLTL for dual Jordan Eikona Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I didn't say 8mm. I said 1in (25mm) acoustic fiberglass or SAE-F10 rated felt. If you stuff it: use the amount specified and adjust as you see fit.

Sorry did not mean that you suggested 8 mm felt.
What I meant was that you suggested felt and that the felt I had seen was 8mm.
If I use f10 25mm felt how much of the internal surfaces should be covered.
What do you think of the rest of my comments questions.
Sorry if offended you in any way.

No offence assumed or taken. I just have sporadic ability to post.

GM has given some lagging advice; that's what I'd use. Adjust to suit from there.

One observation: there already seems to be a wide baffle, twin driver design on the Jordan site. I don't quite know what 'dual coupled' means, unless 'it's got two vents' but it sounds like it would fit your criteria & is even the correct height, give or take.

FWIW, I butt drivers right up against each other except when the desired tweeter won't fit well in the lee [side gap] of a MTM.

Anyway, one more time [last from me], as I noted much earlier, without measurements/tech details of a number of variables it becomes a personal preference issue, especially since the majority of folks that I recommended even very light density [<0.2 ft^3] in untapered MLTLs using MJK's [polyfil] calculator still wound up pulling some/a lot of it out and one even pulled it all, which surprised me no end considering it was a 15" loaded 25 ft^3 MLTL tuned to ~27 Hz makes some seriously audible resonances modulating the diaphragm!; so recommend starting with nothing, then add till it doesn't sound 'hollow' and for most folks you're done, though some prefer a really well damped response to the point of 'dull' for a rare few.

Note too that ideally the ear test needs to be done with the speaker in its final resting place and the 'ear' seated in the 'sweet spot', so could wind up over-damped if done up close in another area.

GM

After you first gave me a heads up on this, I found the same -most people seemed to want less damping than the theory / measured 'ideal'. I've given up wondering why & just say 'to taste' now as it's one of the 'Y' bits in 'DIY'. ;) Ye tried & trusted click test still seems the favourite test solution. Funny how what worked 60 years or so ago still seems to work now. :D

Right -I'll get back to munching my treetops.

Attachments

• brontosaurus.jpg
    brontosaurus.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 109
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
FWIW, I butt drivers right up against each other except when the desired tweeter won't fit well in the lee [side gap] of a MTM.

my bold.

In our 1st build of the A12pw MTMs i used as close a spacing as i could, and Chris suggested i push them apart abit more to facilitate building — he had to do a lot of “rasp” work on the midTL to make things fit — another case of easy to draw, hard to build.

A12pw-MTM-comp.jpg

dave

OK, can't recall having any problems, though not having a router at the time, I used a really coarse wood file to do the ~45 deg rear chamfer [back cut], which had the added benefit of truly randomizing any reflections compared to the smooth router bevel, so will continue to do it.

No clue if it makes any difference other than maybe requiring less damping, which is always a worthy goal to me.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.