Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MLTL for dual Jordan Eikona Drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2017, 11:11 PM   #21
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
...for 4in class drivers?…
Really closer to 5.25”.

Likely the closet is the Alpair 10.3. There has only been 1 fellow i have seen that has heard both… he preferred the Eikona. But between the A10.3 and the Eikona is the ENnABLed A10.3eN.

Both drivers came out of the same heritage, but diverged when Jordan got sold to EAD and Mark added his own touches to the Alpairs.

dave
Old 4th December 2017, 12:28 AM   #22
Daze is offline Daze  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just my 2 cents. I have built the TL for the Eikonas (v2) and they are, in many ways, in a class of their own. I’ve tried a few Alpair models (although not the 10.3) and like them very much. But ted’s Eikona are just a cut above IMHO. They are a bit pricier and will need a few more watts, but the result is quite impressive indeed.

I sold them to a friend and he very gracefully changes subject if I ever ask if he would consider sending them back my way someday.

Oh well...
Old 4th December 2017, 01:31 AM   #23
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Well it sounds like they have quite a following of people who like them no doubt. If 5.25in then maybe something like the W5-2143’s that I have and like so much might be competition. The 2143’s are 90dB sensitivitive and are very neutral/flat response with incredible highs.

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...spec-sheet.pdf

If anyone in the Metro DC area has a set, PM me if you wouldn’t mind letting me hear them.
Old 4th December 2017, 08:51 AM   #24
colmo is offline colmo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
No, it's not. Example: if a 1 ft^3 box needs 1 lb^3 of polyfil, then it needs 1 lb, ergo if the box is 2 ft^3 it takes 2 lbs.

If this box instead requires lining with [4] pcs of 1" thick OC 703 [my preference] 12" x 12", then use the equivalent area of [8] pcs for 2 ft^3, though of course they will need to be cut to fit the new wall sizes.

For 'FR' drivers, yes.

GM
My reasoning was based on the fact that in the original design stuffing was to be 3 ins below the driver but with 2 drivers it was further down the box if 3 ins below the bottom driver
Old 4th December 2017, 09:11 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

The originally design that I was looking at for 1 driver per cabinet was by Jim Griffin.
It was as follows:-
30 ins internal high with csa of 56 sq ins
Driver centered 6 ins from top, port centered 2 ins from bottom, both internal
Port 2 ins inside dia. x 6 ins. long
Stuffing 0.75 lbs cu ft down to 3 ins below the driver. ( Approx. 0.27 lbs per cabinet )
What I intend to do now is fit 2 drivers per cabinet as follows:-
30 ins internal high with csa of 112 sq ins
I will make it 11 ins wide internally x 10.18 ins deep giving 112 sq ins
Centre point of the 2 drivers 6 ins from top, port centered 2 ins from bottom, both internal
Ports 2 off 2 ins. inside dia. x 6 ins. long
Stuffing Approx. 0.54 lbs per cabinet

Is there anything wrong with my reasoning above.

I also have the following questions.

Should I offset the drivers to one side of the centre line

The top driver is right at the top of the cabinet to maintain thethe 6 inch centre point is that ok, I could always put an extra thick top panel on to get it away from the edge but by how much?

Finally stuffing I dont think I can get Acousta stuff in the UK ony BAF or Wool Felt to glue on the walls so what is the best thing to do here.

Thank you all for your help

Last edited by colmo; 4th December 2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 4th December 2017, 03:26 PM   #26
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmo View Post
My reasoning was based on the fact that in the original design stuffing was to be 3 ins below the driver but with 2 drivers it was further down the box if 3 ins below the bottom driver
OK, you didn't make it clear, i.e. this description initially or at least a link to JG's design.

Anyway, if stuffing, then you 'fluff' it out to fill the longer, larger tube. If using sheet insulation, then in reality it only needs to cover ~0.707x the panel area, so you can make the strips longer, but a bit narrower if need be.

GM
Old 4th December 2017, 03:52 PM   #27
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What GM said.

One practical point -I'm on an office computer & little time to check as I'm taking an evening seminar: is 6in sufficient physical clearance between the internal top & the centreline between the driver pair? IIRC the Eikona 2 basket is about 150mm wide so you're dancing right on the edge, especially as you'll likely need a small gap between the drivers to ensure sufficient structural rigidity.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 4th December 2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 4th December 2017, 04:21 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmo View Post
Stuffing 0.75 lbs cu ft down to 3 ins below the driver. ( Approx. 0.27 lbs per cabinet )

Thank you all for your help
You're welcome!

Link to the design before going any further?

GM
Old 4th December 2017, 04:27 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
....is 6in sufficient physical clearance.....
Yeah, was surprised to see these specs too, so got me wondering if it was a modded plan of his original JX92S bookshelf speakers.

GM
Old 4th December 2017, 07:16 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Here is the original article
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...gns-print.html

MLTL for dual Jordan Eikona DriversHide this!Advertise here!