Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Audio Nirvana Classic 8 Ferrite vs. Mark Audio Alpair 12P
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2017, 08:35 PM   #31
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

My experience also with the 10's. I'm using a notch filter.
Old 21st December 2017, 11:41 AM   #32
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I noticed ongoing improvement past the 200hours with my AN15" Super, although not dramatic.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 24th December 2017, 03:07 AM   #33
silverhairbp is offline silverhairbp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane77g View Post
My experience also with the 10's. I'm using a notch filter.
What freq and how deep?
Old 24th December 2017, 06:52 AM   #34
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

re: Nirvana - have others experience a large parameter shift from suspension stiffening? Fs went up a half octave on my stamped frame AN8 pair taking Qts up along for the ride. Fs started high on my AN10, raising Qts also. I'v heard Fs can be restored by treating the doped surround with turpentine.
Old 24th December 2017, 07:50 AM   #35
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

turpentine? sounds risky
Old 24th December 2017, 12:34 PM   #36
jameshillj is offline jameshillj  Australia
diyAudio Member

I had the Classic 8" ferrite tested here (Klippel, etc) and am amazed at the low distortion and high DI of these drivers - after about 300+ hours, the suspension relaxed and Fs went down a little and the freq response both on and off axis flattened out - a truly remarkable driver, particularly when operated from >120Hz on an IEC winged baffle.
Old 24th December 2017, 07:16 PM   #37
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the SuperCast 12 and same experience, it greatly improved after 200+ hours. Still not the best speaker for complex crescendo's, i.e. big orchestral and hard rock, but spooky real at less challenging levels. I cross over to subs at 70Hz, and frankly would probably benefit from a super tweeter about 12Khz or so. (sorry didn't mean to steal the thread)
Old 25th December 2017, 12:14 AM   #38
jameshillj is offline jameshillj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Yes, those 12s are a bit of a mystery - the box dimensions according to tested specs just don't seem to produce clean bass - it has taken 3 attempts at a compromised design to get a reasonable bass down to 35Hz (included some room gain) and added one of those cheap Fostex horn tweeters - the monster Levinson amp isn't a good match for it and better with a local Weston tube amp - I think the amp allows good results with his preferred classics but the drivers are slightly over damped so maybe this contributes to the better control - it's a bit of a guessing game in this area as the room contributes so much with the way these speakers/drivers radiate - they seem to benefit from quite a lot of diffusers but it gets a bit 'unsightly' and his Mrs went a 'bit spare' when she saw the skylines on the ceiling! (since replaced these with Tim's painted 'leanfusors' that are nearly hidden between the exposed rafter beams)

Seasons Greetings to everyone and Best Wishes for the next year ... james
Old 26th December 2017, 11:00 PM   #39
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
What freq and how deep?
Let's see if my answer satisfies this question as I am still in early learning phases of speaker manipulating. Anyhow, I've tried approximately 7 or so different variations and the latest sounds the best so far. Frequency peak to reduce is 2000 Hz & max. damping is 6.0dB. Resistor is 4.8 ohm/33uf cap & .15mH inductor.
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:16 PM   #40
silverhairbp is offline silverhairbp  United States
diyAudio Member

After a significant amount of tweaking and twiddling, it doesn't look like the AN 8" Classic will work in the intended application for me. Going back to the Satori 6.5" midwoofer.

Audio Nirvana Classic 8 Ferrite vs. Mark Audio Alpair 12PHide this!Advertise here!