Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CHR 70 for front/surround, DENON AV reciever
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2017, 09:42 PM   #1
Savad is offline Savad  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Default CHR 70 for front/surround, DENON AV reciever

Hello friends,

I am in a state of choosing speaker configuration for a home theater with DENON 3400 7.1 as a head unit.

I have a very good experience building a pair of Frugel-Horn XL with Alpair 10P for a 6S4S SET amp.
So when I came across center/surround plans for Mark Audio CHR70 I thought it would be a good idea to use them in a home theater.
The only thing that bothers me: wouldn't be CHR70 speakers too weak for a 130w per channel reciever?

I would appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance!
Old 15th November 2017, 12:07 AM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Well, IMO, the discrete center channel in a true 5.1 or more surround system should be of at least equal merit to the L&R mains - and not only in terms of max power handling. I've used a range of wideband drivers in my own 7.1 system over the years - currently with A10.3 (metals) as L&R mains(Pensil) , A10P in small vented center enclosure, A6 metals for rear surrounds, and Pluvia7s for front height surrounds.

As for power ratings on surround receivers - read very carefully between the lines, in the case of the 3400 @ 8ohms, 2 channels driven = 105WPC. I'd be inclined to de-rate that by at least 10% (other members may have different figures) when 5 or more channels are driven, but even at a very conservative 80WPC, if you're looking for THX reference levels (105dB peaks, IIRC) in a moderate to large room, the risk of excursion damage is definitely there.
Old 15th November 2017, 12:55 AM   #3
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Amazing... Son has some yamaha/ PSB 7.1 setup.
Frankly it's a JOKE.
Only useful (?) to get the full sonic explosion effects on some preteen Arnold movie.
PT Barnum would be Proud.
Old 15th November 2017, 01:54 AM   #4
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Forget about power ratings. Unless you go whole hog on the volume you will not have any issue, and if you do it is because the amp is running out of power.

What Chris said. Use the same driver for centre. Here is the free plan for a centre to go with FHXL: http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloa...lan-110514.pdf

For the surrounds i’d suggest the new Pluvia 7. Marginally more than CHR and Mark Audio has had more time to refine them. Or the A6.2p which has similar voicing to the A10p. If you wanted to go whole hog you could use more A10p if you had the budget (room/dollars).

dave
dave
Old 15th November 2017, 07:10 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Guys, thanks a lot for your input! I got the idea, 10p(pensil or marken design, though?) for the surround as a best choice, pluvia 7\6p as a second best. I didn't state it clear, my FHXLs with a SET amp are in my brothers apartment. For the theater front channel I am going to use 12p pensils. So should I stick to 12p as a center channel driver or 10p will do?
Old 15th November 2017, 08:29 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A10p will do. It goes lower, reaches higher and has a deeper, more detailed midrange.

dave
Old 15th November 2017, 08:35 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
A10p will do. It goes lower, reaches higher and has a deeper, more detailed midrange.

dave
Dave, thank you!
Old 15th November 2017, 10:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

And can I use CHR70 plans to build enclosures for Pluvia 7?
Old 15th November 2017, 06:55 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

No. But so far they have pretty much fit into all the EL70 enclosures we have tried with mostly no changes except those needed to fit the driver.

dave
Old 15th November 2017, 08:04 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Savad, if you already have the A12P, then by all means use them, but aside from their extra sensitivity over the 10s, I actually prefer the latter, which need a smaller box to go as deep.

I'm running the Pluvias in a little "milli" sized box - which in typical "Davish" lexicon would have a hyphenated name - not sure if those plans have been posted yet?

And I'll politely disagree with Bare's assessment of surround - I find more engagement beyond just the crash and boom stuff, but it definitely helps with those too. Of course I can see a full Atmos 9.1.6 setup to be a logistical nightmare for anything less than a fully engineered dedicated room, which not all of us can afford.

CHR 70 for front/surround, DENON AV recieverHide this!Advertise here!