Enclosure size for stereo drivers in one enclosure? Passive radiator size?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I am very new to speaker building, I would appreciate any suggestions or feedback on my first project.

My goal is to have a speaker for daily music listening. Something similar to Sonos Play 3 or 5 but it's way more fun/giving making my own speaker paired with Chromecast Audio. I would start with one speaker and once I have good results I could replicate the results and add speakers throughout the home for music listening. This is also one of the reasons for the concrete, once I have good results I will have the mold that I can use again and again.

Notes for the full range speaker:
  • Is In one concrete enclosure, similar to this which is my inspiration. But as pointed out, this will not be easy...
  • Keep the size to a minimum or close to Sonos Play:5, but larger if required for lower frequencies (Sonos Play:5 has multiple drivers to achieve the full range in a small package)
  • Simple left right drivers (possibly passive radiators) and no 2-way with crossover for now as this is my first build.

Drivers I am considering are 2x Tang Band W5-2106 (Scroll down to find them). I was also looking into Tang Band W5-2143, but the Tang Band W5-2106 have a slightly larger frequency range.

Questions I have are the following...

A) How would I calculate the size of the box? Most calculators I have found (like this one) seem to calculate for 1 driver in 1 enclosure. How can I calculate the size for Vented/ported vs Passive Radiator if there are 2 drivers in 1 enclosure?

B) I assume that by using passive radiators I can have the box smaller? Which is one of my goals but without risking much of the sound quality. If I choose to use a passive radiator, will one of Dayton Audio SD175-PR suffice in a single enclosure with 2x drivers from above? The web page states "Recommended for use in passive radiator enclosure alignments with active drivers from 3" to 6.5" in diameter." I assume that the statement is true if 2x 5" drivers are used with 1x passive radiator.

Thanks for any feedback :)

Last edited:
WinISD version 0.7 has good simulation of passive radiators. You can set it to simulate multiple active and passive radiators per enclosure.

Thin concrete rings like a bell. Don't be deceived by basement walls which are very thick and damped by earth. Crossbraced stiff birch plywood, lined with bitumen is very good. Or thin birch plywood laminated to equal thickness MDF with greenglue is excellent, easy and inexpensive. edit: Maybe coat the nonresonant plywood box with concrete slurry as paint. :)

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Each driver should be in their own sub-enclosure so you can calculate for one driver and then siamese 2 boxes together.

I am not a big fan of PRs. They can be considered as a vent substitute in a small box, tuned low where the vent becomes too large. You need to consider the driver and the box alignment before considering one.

I haven’t had a lot of TBs thru here, the small sample i have had have not resonated with me for one reason or another. I can offer opionions on alignments.

You can get reasonable bass out of the Mark Audion Pluvia 7 in a smallish (5 litre net) box for a reasonable price, but the extension increases as you increase the volume up to the (optimal fo rmy alignment) of 13 litres.

I concur with the opions on concrete… unless you are a concrete guru, you will be ahead if you use good plywood.

dave

I've updated my initial post with more detail and mostly about what my goal is...

"My goal is to have a speaker for daily music listening. Something similar to Sonos Play 3 or 5 but it's way more fun/giving making my own speaker paired with Chromecast Audio. I would start with one speaker and once I have good results I could replicate the results and add speakers throughout the home for music listening. This is also one of the reasons for the concrete, once I have good results I will have the mold that I can use again and again."

Richidoo said:
WinISD version 0.7 has good simulation of passive radiators...

Thanks will give it a try.

Cal Weldon said:
..for one 5" driver, consider one 6.5" PR.
I'm not sure you want to combine the two drivers in an open cabinet with a single PR as you have asked...

Thanks. Same as planet10 pointed out.

scottjoplin said:
Rip it up and start again, seriously Everything seems wrong to me. What is it you want from your speakers?

True, I'm just getting started with the planning and will of course have to learn much more before starting. Have started reading more guides.

planet10 said:
Each driver should be in their own sub-enclosure so you can calculate for one driver and then siamese 2 boxes together.

That's a good point and I could have one speaker but have the enclosure split in 2 sections.

**Edit**
I just hit edit on the original post and the link sent me to an "unregistered blank page". Going back, then the original post is no longer there?!?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.