Which speakers for a simple class D amp car build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Firstly I hope that this is the right place to post these questions. Secondly apologies for what I feel will be a lengthy post.

I bought a cheap TPA3116D2 50W*2+100W 2.1amp with the idea to use it in my car. I am powering it with a 5v 2.4a power bank. It's only a little classic car that has no sound system at all. I realise I'm not going to get much power with this setup, but I'm just looking for somethings that I can integrate into the car and sounds a little better than my current little bluetooth speaker.I'm not looking to spend vast amounts of money on this

I tried out the system hooked up to my friends little 25w 6ohm speaker and it worked great for what I want. My question is what speakers and subwoofer should i get? or do I even need a subwoofer with such little power?
tl;dr: Basically I'm confused and looking for recommendations for some simple low cost 2.1 speaker setup that's low cost and sounds ok.

I have a few options:

- Buy some 2.1 computer speakers and convert them to use with my amp. I have found a few ones for around £50 that have ~80w rms. which I think is fine for my needs.

And this is where I get confused: My other option is buy some car speakers or some diy hifi speakers and build a little enclosure for them. That way I can spec them for my car.

I found these little drok 15w speakers. Which I was planning to match with this sub.

Then I found some car speakers such as these and it got me wondering do I need a dedicated subwoofer if the sub starts at 65hz and these start at 40hz?

Basically I'm confused and looking for recommendations for some simple low cost speakers.

5V? isn't that a bit low for a TPA3116 to develop anywhere near its full output? IINM, most want between 12-24

If you can find a car speaker that'll fit available locations in the vehicle, I'd be inclined to go that way. I'd be surprised if the better ones such as the Pioneers cited didn't deliver far better performance than computer speakers or the little Droks -possibly even better bass than the little 6" "sub"

Indeed, even at recommended DC supply rails, the rated power on many of the cheapie TPA3116s could be described as "optimistic"
I have a little YJ kit version of one of these in my harem of small amps - it came with a compact 24V 3A SMPS module. Decent enough sounding piece overall, but I'd imagine the quality of this type could vary substantially.

And, yes, I think a simple coax car speaker would be the way to go.

Thanks for the replies all. Apologies, forgot to add that I'm using a DC step up unit to go from 5v to anywhere between 12 and 20v and max 3a that the amp requires. I ordered both the drok speakers and some coax car ones. I have tried the drok ones and they seem pretty good for £10 speakers. Will report back once I have tried the coax ones.
The bass is definitely not very loud, and the limitations of the 3 amp dc step up was proving a problem even with the 40w drok sub.I tried it with a 20w sub which worked much better, but didn't quite have enough oomph. I think 30w for the bass is probably the limit for my setup. I guess I can't expect too much from a small amp powered by a phone charger :) And as you say I don't think the power ratings on the amp are too accurate!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.