my journey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So years ago I got caught up in the SET flea power amp thing. To go this way you need high output speakers. I built a 2A3 set amp and BLH using the Fostex 208 standard drivers. I thru every mod you can find at those drivers and after years of trying to like them they just don't cut it. Started looking at different drivers and found the Mark audio alpar 10. A guy was selling a pair that had the enable process done to them. Got them and made an adapter plate to put them in my blh. Now I did not think this would work that well but wow they sound awesome. The mark audio driver is very detailed and has great tone. Much smoother than the fostex. Next I added a HIVI planer tweeter with a 6.8 uf cap in series and boy is this a sweet combo. Really puts the sparkle detail and space on top that was missing. I know I'm not breaking new ground here but I hope this can help others. My 60 year old ears really like this combo. The HIVI tweeter really pulls it together. Also the Alpar puts out a great deal of bass for such a small driver in this blh. Enjoying music again.
MIke

HIVI

Using the rt1ca. Entry level with a cheap Dayton cap. Wondering if a better cap would take things even higher. Believe me its very good now. Some of the real hi end caps can cost way more than the tweeters. Want to keep things sane. The Obbligotto caps look interesting and not insane prices.
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.