Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Donations FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Corner Horn for TB W8-1772
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2017, 10:43 PM  
methodarn is offline methodarn  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Location: Moscow, Russia. Hope someday I find warmer place :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietervsw View Post
Hello everyone,

many thanks for the suggestions and great discussion.

I have been simulating some cabinets in AJHorn and even the original TB horn suggestion does not seem to bring hifi results.

After simulating that jazz for a few hours, I came to the conclusion that with that driver a horn can only work with internal absorber, below you can find the simulation.
Same conclusion as mine. But it's not solve problem completely, this drivers don't have enough BL/mms for BLH

Last edited by methodarn; 7th November 2017 at 10:46 PM.

Old 8th November 2017, 09:46 AM  
Dietervsw is offline Dietervsw  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone,
I am kinda frustrated that this TB will not really work on a horn, anyway I will build a horn and something that I don't know how to call, something like a BR with linear function. Than compare.
Check below.
Regards,
Dieter

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 8th November 2017, 12:13 PM  
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

when 1772 was introduced, there was a fairly large (6.8 cubic foot external bulk) factory blh plan. "This" PDF plan is probably it. SUG1-19 - 8” Full Range Back Horn Enclosure Suggestion - TB SPEAKER CO., LTD.

as you can see by the dimensions and 2.5 meter path, it seems to be optimized to give some gain towards the bottom. 15mm Baltic birch might be stiff enough as there's a lot of inherit bracing.

Last edited by freddi; 8th November 2017 at 12:35 PM.

Old 8th November 2017, 05:34 PM  
diyAudio Member

Hello Dieter
If you look at tb's recommended horn impedance you will see typical curves with stuffing

Old 8th November 2017, 05:38 PM  
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
when 1772 was introduced, there was a fairly large (6.8 cubic foot external bulk) factory blh plan. "This" PDF plan is probably it. SUG1-19 - 8” Full Range Back Horn Enclosure Suggestion - TB SPEAKER CO., LTD.

as you can see by the dimensions and 2.5 meter path, it seems to be optimized to give some gain towards the bottom. 15mm Baltic birch might be stiff enough as there's a lot of inherit bracing.

In my experience 18-19mm is minimal acceptable value forbracing and others parts of horn

Old 8th November 2017, 08:01 PM  
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietervsw View Post
...anyway I will build a horn and something that I don't know how to call, something like a BR with linear function.
What you have drawn is a tapped horn — a horn where the driver is loaded part-way along the horn. The Voigt is likely the best known example. For optimum performance you need to use all the tricks. Two primary ones are driver offset from the closed end, depending on the horn flare, typically ⅓ to ½ the horn length and the use of a restricted terminus — something found to be very useful in smotthing the LF performance of a Voigt (making it an ML-Voigt).

Corner Horn for TB W8-1772-tapped-horn-png

For some good modern examples check of the Metronome & the Frugel-Horns. And to answer ahead of time, a FH for 8” drivers becomes so large as to become impractical.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: png tapped-horn.png (22.0 KB, 326 views)

Old 8th November 2017, 08:07 PM  
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodarn View Post
In my experience 18-19mm is minimal acceptable value forbracing and others parts of horn
Freddi’s suggestion is a Olson/Nagoka style horn. They can work well but need to be carefully designed for the driver. Given some of the other so-called horns TB has recommended i would be careful with this one.

As the the comment about materials, if one uses good 15mm ply it is likely to be sufficient. With all the internal panels and the shown braces the box is inherently stiff (might need a bit of help in the mouth). 15mm is superior to ¾” MDF by some margin. We make the Frugel-Horn Mk3 & FHXL with 15mm play and the FH-Lite with 12mm. Even the large Woden double mouthed horns are fine with 15mm (with additional strategically placed braces).

dave

Old 9th November 2017, 09:20 AM  
diyAudio Member

Olson-Nagaoka is a good suggestion.
Can anybody simulate it correctly ?

BTW, 1772 looks good in BLH only with negative output impedance of amp.

Old 10th November 2017, 02:58 AM  
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

FWIW, one thread said Viech with 1772 was better than a TB horn (the one above ?) - but the poster settled on a 55L reflex with tapered vent as the low frequency extension was better than the horns. Tang Band W8-1772 Horn oder TQWT - DIY-HIFI-Forum

here's 1772 in das Viech vs some other fullrange

Hifi-Selbstbau - Hifi-Selbstbau

also this Diyaudio thread TB W8-1772 in Spawn (or similar) horn?

Last edited by freddi; 10th November 2017 at 03:08 AM.

Old 10th November 2017, 11:21 PM  
jacozz is offline jacozz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Yea, I think the 1772 will fit better in a big BVR or in a Mltl. My simulations in Hornresp suggest a much larger BL-horn than what your typical Fostex 206 need. so...

Corner Horn for TB W8-1772Hide this!Advertise here!