Full range driver for sealed speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there. I need some advice on choosing a driver for a project I am working on. I would like to build a set of bookshelf/stand mount full range speakers. I also plan to build two separate subwoofers to go along with thus system. The aesthetics of the project are as important to sound quality and I would like to keep the driver in the 6.5" to 10" range. I am pretty new to the hifi world but learn quick.
Cheers
Travis

I was originally planning on using 12" woofers for the subs but I realize I might have a hard time getting them to integrate well with the full range drivers so I might go with a dual 8" per sub setup. I would think if I could get anywhere under 100Hrz for the drivers that would be good.

So I have sort of narrowed it down to these drivers.

SEAS FA22
TangBand W8-2145
Visaton BG20
AN Classic 8 Alnico

Are there others that I should consider? Would anything from MarkAudio work? I know a lot of you really like them, just not sure any of them would work in a smaller sealed speaker.

PS. Notice some of you are from Victoria. I am up in Nanaimo. Small world.

If there is a possibility of relaxing the "sealed" constraint, I'd recommend the Mark Audio Alpair 10.3, 10P or 12P as they are great in a vented enclosure and don't need EQ. If you stay with sealed, the Seas FA22 sounds quite nice and dynamic in a 60 ltr sealed floorstander, but needs either active eq or a 1.2mH inductor and 12R resistor.
Mario

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Our 1st set of SEAS FA22 went into a recycled KEF Calinda enclosure. An estimated 50 litre net. No filters used (or did we feel needed), but we did not leave the drivers stock.

FA22-calinda-enclosure.jpg

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.