Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Even BIGGER than Bigger, Badder BIB...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2018, 03:53 AM   #61
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
although not simmed correctly*, it looks like a BIGBIB with 2220 would do 100dB- 102dB@30Hz 1 Pi 2.83v w. ~440 liter internal airspace,
assuming the older alnico "A" is close to "H" in spec. (* - used a 4.25M long positive flare T-line with 0.41 offset for that guesstimate)
​Sounds about right, my [parabolic] BIB sim is ~890 L/4.65 m long and averages ~108 dB/30 Hz/m/1pi/2.83 V, though again it's probably going to be lower due to HR being a bit optimistic unless it's one heck of a well sealed, massive/rigidly constructed, space.

GM
Old 12th October 2018, 10:01 AM   #62
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

tried another but don't have a grasp of how to do it

this time I set the horn area at 0.41*path at Sd (does that make any sense??) - then just adjusted things so the schematic looked what assume is about the right shape to finish the expansion

I feel like I've been to the Pa Kettle school of mathematics and flunked

tell me how to do these BIB things

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th October 2018, 03:09 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

Instructions:

The BIB default alignment is Fs/2, so input Fs, Vas, Qts' and it auto calculates everything you need to input it into HR/whatever.

The basic math is: Vb = 20*Vas*Qts'^1.25

Qts' = Qts + any added series resistance [Rs]: mh-audio.nl - Home

If it's too short or too long, i.e. too far from the ceiling or too close, then change 'Fs' until you get the desired folded height.

For really high Fs drivers or just want a smaller floor loaded model, just change 'Fs' to suit.

If it's sheer size/'footprint' is too big for the intended app, then change Vas for relatively minor adjustments and/or Qts' for major ones, though may not adequately protect the driver enough in high power apps.

L*0.217 is the original/standard driver offset with L*0.41 being MJK's alternate when a flatter overall response is desired, though may not adequately protect the driver enough in high power apps.

For compression loaded, i.e. very close to the floor or ceiling, then one of these ML-horn/ML-TQWT driver offsets may be better overall, though again, the further down the less the driver protection at higher power: L*0.349, 0.424, 0.50 - 0.60

GM

Last edited by GM; 12th October 2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12th October 2018, 11:39 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

is that QTS' ^1.25 "separate"? I got a huge figure (like 35 cubic feet) with QTS'= 0.241 (rg = 2ohm) and 2220A's Vas of 297.3 liters
Old 13th October 2018, 12:43 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

No, ~35.46 ft^3 is correct. Conical pipe horns mostly load by air mass volume alone, so air not being very heavy.............

GM
Old 13th October 2018, 01:05 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

hey GM - I certainly appreciate the info and clarification - add some wood to 35.46CF and that's a whopper. 4 ohm Rg would raise 2220A QTS' to 0.3.
A K alignment formula might be handy too - think they're only relegated to certain size limits.

Last edited by freddi; 13th October 2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 13th October 2018, 02:11 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

You're welcome! High time I consolidated all the info I posted piecemeal as required. Apparently these cab alignments aren't ancient history just yet.

Judging by the HR sim, one could probably do well enough with ~35*0.707 = ~25 ft^3, just will have several dB less power handling down really low where the room may already be boosting too much anyway. The extra acoustic loading I factored in was more for 'FR' drivers where even Fs/2 with next to nothing power handling was going to normally be > 20 Hz.

GM

Even BIGGER than Bigger, Badder BIB...Hide this!Advertise here!