Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

My New Line Array--It's a Modified CBT24
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2017, 07:46 AM   #11
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Can't wait to see the rest of this journey. What kind of EQ is planned?
Hopefully some FIR experiments along the way?
Old 26th November 2017, 11:14 AM   #12
Dr1v3n is offline Dr1v3n  United States
diyAudio Member

Any progress Jim?
Old 26th November 2017, 07:12 PM   #13
Jim Griffin is offline Jim Griffin  United States
diyAudio Member

Enclosures are in for painting and sub woofers boxes are in work as well. All this is slower than I wanted. I have the internal wiring (3 strings per side for each of the 3 banks) ready for insertion when the boxes are finished.

Thanks for asking.
Old 27th November 2017, 01:35 PM   #14
HankF is offline HankF  United States
diyAudio Member

Progress is progress. I'm in the process of ordering a couple of Rythmik F12G subs.
Old 15th December 2017, 10:12 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Almost two weeks ago my CBT24 cabinets completed their six weeks visit to the auto body shop for painting. The results are exceptional! The Nebla Gray Pearl paint looks terrific. While dark gray in low lighting, they have highlights when in a brightly lit room or under a spotlight.

I completed the assembly and the wiring process over the last several days. I had pre-built the 3 wiring harnesses for each speaker (each speaker has 3 shading or weighting banks) with 6 different wire colors. The harnesses eased the process plus polarized connector clips and labels helped to prevent any mistakes.

My first listen to the arrays was two days ago. I’m listening in my living room which is 23 feet wide by 32 feet long with a ceiling height that extends to an apex of 18 feet across the center of the room. A Marantz 1602 (50 watts at 8 ohms) receiver currently powers the arrays. Though the arrays have a 4 ohms nominal impedance, this light weight receiver seems to be able to do the job for now. Two 10 inch subs are positioned beside the equipment cabinet which is centered between the CBTs. The sub crossover to the CBTs at 120 Hz while the CBTs have their F3 point near 130 Hz. No equalization for my initial listening.

CBTs have the characteristics preached by Don Keele in his many CBT papers which detail the theory behind their constant beamwidth and constant directivity behavior. They feature near constant coverage cross the sound stage and near constant volume level from front to back within the room. Keele states that a CBT is essentially time aligned and linear phase. A CBT array forms a virtual point source with extremely uniform broadband directional coverage of the CBT.

My first observations are that my CBTs have a real ‘jump’ factor with an easy musical pace. I hear sounds that we didn’t hear during earlier listening sessions with different speakers on these same recordings. I can sit on axis to one array and clearly hear sounds emitted by the other array so their imaging is impressive across the sound stage! Uniformity of the radiation sound from front to back and side to side is there in spades.

I'll have lots of photos and I will post them later.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Griffin; 15th December 2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 15th December 2017, 10:27 AM   #16
Omholt is offline Omholt  Norway
diyAudio Member

Looking forward to pictures Jim :-)
Sounds like you have a great room, spacious.
Old 15th December 2017, 10:54 AM   #17
dziemian is offline dziemian  Poland
diyAudio Member

I am eager to see the photos too.
Old 15th December 2017, 09:16 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Try this link to a Modified CBT24 Gallery:

Modified CBT24 - Google Photos
Old 15th December 2017, 10:33 PM   #19
Dr1v3n is offline Dr1v3n  United States
diyAudio Member

They look great Jim! I imagine you still have to listen at lower levels to break in the drivers? I don't think 50 watts is going to cut it at louder levels.
Old 16th December 2017, 08:02 AM   #20
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I'd think the 50 watt will be more than enough as the bottom end is supported by subs.

My New Line Array--It's a Modified CBT24Hide this!Advertise here!