Altec 403A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

GM

Joined 2003
The 755 was rated 40-15 kHz/20 W, 92 dB/4 ft, while the 403 was 70-11 kHz/12 W, 99 dB/4ft, so quite a bit different overall.

While Altec rated the ~2.3 ft^3 618 for any then current 8" drivers, the larger ~3 ft^3 614 is a bit better fit for the 403's different specs [higher Qts IIRC].

Strictly PA/Muzak/AM radio replacement speaker IMO, so for HIFI, best as a OB/IB mid in a large HE three way monitor, preferably with a thin felt or cotton ball 'dust cap'/diffuser and driven with a high output impedance [low DF] SET.

GM

I will be using these with 2A3 SET. From GM's specs it looks like it might need a simple tweeter/cap to fill in the top. Although with my limited HF hearing I probably wouldn't hear the difference.
The 614 is a ported cab. Would it be better built sealed for the 403?
I really want to keep these simple, mid range listening. These will also be in a smaller room.

BTW, Good hearing from you GM. Haven't talked since the Betsy cabs.

Last edited:

GM

Joined 2003
Ah! I was trying to remember where/what speakers we had discussed.

Well, I used one in a pre WWII open back AM/shortwave console [~8 ft^3 IIRC] and it barely did AM's 5 kHz BW better than a 1960 AM clock radio with a 5" driver [both SET driven], though the LF was much 'fuller', which was all I cared about, i.e. I thought Stevie Wonder was a young girl until I heard 'Fingertips' on the console.

Anyway, based on this I personally would try the largest sealed cab I could 'afford' and if it sounded too small, then I'd do ~aperiodic.

GM

Last edited:
I mounted the 403's in 618 cabs. I just finished them today. Haven't had much play time yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1396.jpg
    IMG_1396.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1413.jpg
    IMG_1413.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 171
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.