Faital pro build too bright - cross over filter help please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am redesigning some cabs for these drivers in the next few days. I have the 4ohm variant so does this mean the inductor value should be lower -> 0.68mh? I'm going to get a variable L-Pad to determine the exact R value.

The baffle will remain very narrow but might be over 8" tall so BSC should kick in at around 1khz?

your setup

Hey,
I have a 1mH air core coil and in paralel 22 ohm resistor that lowers a little bit the annoying heights on the 3 fe 25. 8 ohm.It is better with 1.2mH but at certain passages fades too much the voice.The 3 fe 22 is a lost case , anything I do they sound really bad. I actually play them with the equalizer at minimum between 1.8 and 6K Hz.

I use them only for medium and high frequencies, bass is too weak from these speakers.
I think the best I can do is throw them out the window after collecting the magnets, then buy some decent speakes . Any suggestion?

Honestly, I would build something like the following circuit, it is adjustable, and will not reduce the efficiency of the speaker. Easy to do the math for different drivers as well.

Baffle Step Compensation

Simply rounding to the next nearest commonly available parts value on the capacitors (IE, 10nF, 15nF, 22nF, 27nF, 33nF, 47nF, etc) will be just fine. Your room will have more error than the math in this application. You can also parallel values to get oddball numbers if needed.

I find line-level EQ is always better, even if it's a bit more complicated.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My 3FE25-16's (four of them) just arrived today, looking forward to installing them in these dual driver 0.53x scale Karlsonator cabinets that should be arriving tomorrow. The cabinets were made for me out of the goodwill of a generous member - thanks! (I won't disclose who until they ok me to release).

In reading about the possible sibilance, I did order a pair of 20ga 1mH air core coils and assortment of 10W resistors to make a BSC. In parallel, the 3FE25-16's should be about 97dB sensitive (at 2.83v).

Here are the new boxes that will arrive shortly. I will see if I can get the dampening materials just right to get rid of the wooden box curse on the mini-K's.
attachment.php

Attachments

• karlsonator53_front.jpg
    karlsonator53_front.jpg
    715 KB · Views: 1,633
Good luck taming the wooden ones.
That's a sweet gift!

I have had the plan of doing a pair in 3mm plywood. They would be a bit more resilient than the foam core when traveling around with them. And hopefully, the thin plywood would also resonate a bit, and with added damping, could maybe sound like the foam ones.

Hi all! I just built some 3" ported full range speakers from faital 3fe25's but they are incredibly bright. I hace seen the frequency graph but didn't expect them to be quite so trebly!

I'm a bit confused about how to go about fixing this. I know I need a resistor and a capacitor across the + and - but not sure what values. The driver is 4ohm. I was thinking maybe I should order a few different types of capacitor and swap them out and see what happens. Ideally I think I want to take the 10k area down. What range of caps should I try and what resistor is needed?

Tia.
You will not want fix it with nocth filter to lost all the harmonics from the music, instead fix it passivelly:
How Treat Passively Peaky Fullrange Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.