quick AMT tweeter question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I gather that AMT tweeters are supposed to be super detailed and very smooth sounding. Yet, when I check out the response curves on a bunch of them, the curves look pretty awful from ~8kHz on up. For example, according to the published graphs, the Dayton AMT Mini-8 is +/-8dB from 8kHz-20kHz (Fs 3.5kHz) where the Dayton ND16FA-6 5/8" soft dome tweeter is closer to +/-5dB across the same range.

Something doesn't line up between the AMT reputation and the driver specs. Am I missing something?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I currently use that $30 AMT Dayton AMT tweeter in my setup with a high grade 2uF poly cap. I've found it to be a 'very decent' addition. Once in a slight while I will hear a female 'S' sound that is annoying. But it is rare. Cymbals sound awesome, along with keyboards and sound effects like in movies. Not overpowering, mind you, just a final touch.
Overall, I like the Dayton mini-8's. One can't always trust the published FR curve...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Good call on the impedance. I totally missed that.

I dunno about that curve though. It looks to me like the AMT pod you linked still has an ~8dB drop from 14k to 20k. Maybe Dayton just makes lame AMT's?

Most treble that we "hear" is actually in the 8k to 14k range. Stuff above that is "air". I don't think they lack air at all. You just have to listen to them to see if you like them - they are not hitting 30k to 50k like aluminum ribbons - but who cares? I certainly don't have bat-like hearing.

Hiya, I'm using the big Dayton AMTPRO4's on my active system main speakers, from 1.5k up but I use a Behringer DEQ 2496 to smooth the response. Clichés apart, I'm hearing details on old familiar recordings I've never known. I love 'em!

I don't use EQ at all like most here on this board.... As for the supersonics, it's all about the rolloff then going down into the upper frequencies and favorably mixing with the FR drivers. Most of us can hear the difference.

Last edited:
Am I missing something?

you're taking about an 8dB dive from 17kHz to 20kHz just like the manufacturer's response chart.

I think I see your mistake: you think you have acute hearing between 17kHz and 20kHz.

Please test your hearing.

My last test (a couple of years ago) showed I was ~10dB down at 8kHz. This is as high as the tests go, because the range above that doesn't matter, in practical / medical terms (i.e. not useful for for intelligibility).

I assume my hearing is at least 30dB down at 20kHz, because that's what (male) hearing does.

Maybe Dayton just makes lame AMT's?

They are lame - relative to premium units that cost 5 times as much money.

I have a pair of pro4 and they:

-certainly need eq.
-have a falling HF response >10kHz
-have very narrow vertical dispersion

This last point is actually the main problem.

The last point is also true of premium units that cost 5 times as much money, because money doesn't fix problems that are directly related to diaphragm dimensions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.