Help me get my wife off my back

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What enclosure do you have now? Fostex Factory recommended design? Have you built Dallas yet, or was that the plan?

Is Dallas smaller then what you have? With all the empty space at the top one can tweak the cosmetics. It is about the smallest decent horn for the FE206.

dave

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Cutting off the excess and bathing it in an expensive veneer.

The Dallas is taller than the recommended design, it's very slightly less deep, and quite a bit narrower.

That said, because it looks fairly simple, I'd almost like to try the karlson design someone mentioned here first

I've found a little bit of give and take is in order. "If you allow me to do this WITH NO FUSS, I'll give you that" type of discussion. My wife seriously bitched about my setup for awhile, especially in the "prototyp" stage where nothing was painted. After the were painted: I'll quote her: " Oh well, I guess I have to get used to them". And we're talking about visuals here. She doesn't give a crap about how they sound! So, in the end, alle is gut, I got my speakers to blast when she isn't here, and she is getting hardwood floors. Sigh.
This hobby is not for the faint of heart, sadly.

Best of luck! Cheers.
If my wife is like that I'd have to question my self if this is true love
From my point of view its not all right to stop your wife or husband from doing some reasonable hobby they like.

Lol. Yeah. Well my wife really isn’t into things so much. She just wants her new house to look clean and uncluttered. I do most of the cooking so the kitchen is mine. I have vintage cars so the garage is mine. So I might be at the “give” stage right now.
My mum is excatly like that :D

Last edited:
If my wife is like that I'd have to question my self if this is true love
From my point of view its not all right to stop your wife or husband from doing some reasonable hobby they like.

My mum is excatly like that :D

Welllll. I don’t think she’s being entirely unfair. Houses here inside town are quite expensive for not very much square footage. If I can figure out an elegant and workable solution I should...

Joined 2016
Paid Member

Attachments

• men-women-on-off-switch.jpg
    men-women-on-off-switch.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 172
EDITED: Next were the Dallas II cabinets. Only now my wife is complaining the speakers are too big. Can anyone recommend a solution where I can slim down the profile without severely impacting sound? I can still get away with a tower setup if it’s just less bulky.

Will smaller full range drivers give me the same bass extension?

I am not exactly sure what sort of bass extension the Dallas II is capable of with the Fostex FE206En, but the Mark Audio Alpair 10P/10.3 go pretty low in a MLTL style cabinet with a smaller footprint+height. Efficiency will be a little less however.

However you already have the drivers and maybe working something around that would be more relevant for you. As suggested by other members, the XKi is a much smaller cabinet vs the Dallas II; according to folks who have tried it out with other drivers, it works well.

If you've got the option to apply some EQ, it might be worth trying a simple ported box tuned to your desired lower cutoff.

You'll give up some dynamics compared to a big BLH (which helps over a wide range), but the box can become quite small so long as the port stays reasonably sized.

While I'm aware it's not the intended usage of these drivers, it's something fairly easy to try. I had good results with my FE126Es in a tiny passive radiator box and a lot of EQ. Sounded great until it was turned up loud - the small cone couldn't move enough air. An 8" would probably do just fine.

Chris

Ok so recently I inherited some cabinets for the Fostex 206 driver. I bought a new set of the drivers with the eNable treatment and we are off to the races. Then I bought an elekit TU8600 that I’m very excited about building.

EDITED: Next were the Dallas II cabinets. Only now my wife is complaining the speakers are too big. Can anyone recommend a solution where I can slim down the profile without severely impacting sound? I can still get away with a tower setup if it’s just less bulky.

Will smaller full range drivers give me the same bass extension?
Smaller FR wont do the same bass, I had a similar prob in the 80s and divorced, you would let she complaint every day also.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you want to do Sat w woofers, you could emulate the Bottlehead system w the FE166.

Put the FR in a small box, and use the natural 2nd order rolloff as the HP. Add a woofer with a plateamp and adjust it to play up to there.

FE206En-sealed2.gif

From the sim with the FE206En that XO is at 90 Hz. An unstuffed 5.5 litre box gives an acoustic Q=0.707 butterworth hi-pase. Adding damping would counter volume of magnet/basket (~0.75 litre) and bracing. Seems very small for such a big driver, one could pudh it up to 8 litre gross without affecting too much.

Like this: A square cyclinder in 5.5 & 8 litre guise and a 15° truncated “pyramid”.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Add a woofer and a plate amp per side and set the built-in XO to match. Or with a seperate amp & XO.

dabe

If you want to do Sat w woofers, you could emulate the Bottlehead system w the FE166.

Wouldn't a woofer sort of eliminate the benefit of full range? I get that I may be asking too much here :) - also, how would I even add a woofer to a two channel amp? How "bad" would it be just to get a smaller set of full range drivers for the bigger room, and use my 206s in my study?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.