What do you guys/gals think of PVC for FR enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
24 P7's. 8 8" sub's

breaking in period. I think 2 more 8" subs per side would be awesome, after all I have one more Audiosource Amp 3 left just sitting in the garage

Attachments

• P1070266.jpg
    P1070266.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 149
2nd day of listening at low levels. EQ is now in use. Also, I had to curve the enclosures. Audible combing is gone by about 5 feet away. MUCH better this way.

Old design was using 8 P7's, per side, wired for 16ohms. Now there's 12 P7's wired for 10.6ohms so the P7's are outshining the subs by about 12dB (by ear, I made no calc's). Having the bass boosted from 20 to 150Hz by 12dB to the subs and it sounds good, which is why I made the comment in my last post about adding 2 more subs per side.

IMO the system still needs a tweeter to really shine, but maybe crossed even higher than before and a maybe a higher power unit than the Dayton mini 8 AMT. One burnt out with a 2uF polypropylene cap.

Attachments

• P1070269.jpg
    P1070269.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 131
More subs? Seriously? Do they ever get more then 5 volt? I would start with placing them better; probably huge cancelation with your current setup.
I guess that spiraling your line speakers inwards instead of curving them will do a better job.

I think you're right, Think. I'm going to follow the tubes. Downfiring, maybe isobaric since I have the drivers. Tall, like the monoliths. 7ft × 8.5" is a lot of volume for low F3 AND conserve horizontal space.

Yesterday I got some quality listening time in at about 70dB avg listening levels. Overall I'm slightly disappointed because they seem to be outputting quite abit of energy in the 4-8kHz range. The enclosures are currently bare internally. Would stuffing them help to cure this problem? I'm trying to avoid using EQ for the FR drivers.

Also, I know I've got serious phase issues because when listening to the Scorpions:Rock You Like A HurricaneScorpions:Rock You Like A Hurricane about 3:06 into the song there's an effect that one should hear in the middle of your head, and I can barely even hear the sound itself. How do I go about fixing this?

Try to get the same approach of Wilson Audio speakers, positioning the drivers at the same distance of your ears.
This would be like an arch, with your head as a focal point of the curvature. This will help you to solve the phase issue (also important to align the voice coils of the woofers too).

Maybe you should take a break and read, at least some of, wesayso's two towers adventures.

He thought a lot about what he wanted to do, before starting to build it.

It looks to me like your thinking is all over the place with no direction nor planning.

I'd take a step back, evaluate where you are, study your options and come up with a plan for your place and your setup.

And with line arrays, consider bringing DSP into the fold to help time align all those drivers, phase correction and EQ balance.

Since these drivers can only take 20W, I Have Been looking into driving each of these P7's with a 50-100W class D amp with bluetooth. They're about $25US each and I can mount them on the monoliths.
I've heard old school class D amps and they were harsh. Willing to experiment with new school..

Last edited:
Are the drivers broken in before you mounted them? Otherwise the sound will probably become better in next few months of listening.
I listened to the scorpions part; why would you have a phase problem? Not just eq?
Swap your subs polarity to find out if there is a big problem.

// Have you ever tried putting all your subs next to each other spread over the width of the room? (max 2 foot (~ 1/4 wave length) a part if they crossover at 150hz), you will be surprised of the difference this will make.

Last edited:
Are the drivers broken in before you mounted them? Otherwise the sound will probably become better in next few months of listening...
You have a good point there and I am slightly impatient. 4 of the 12 drivers are new per side and I put 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom of each side. Still no tweeter yet, might not even need them...

...I listened to the scorpions part; why would you have a phase problem? Not just eq?
Swap your subs polarity to find out if there is a big problem.

// Have you ever tried putting all your subs next to each other spread over the width of the room? (max 2 foot (~ 1/4 wave length) a part if they crossover at 150hz), you will be surprised of the difference this will make.
Another good point. There's a serious issue with the subs the way they're currently stacked... I was aiming for a half array on the subwoofers, but I see this is a very bad idea. I've read pros and cons, but I think I'm experiencing more cons in my smallish room with cathedral ceiling.

I won't be around much next few months as I have new debt, but I'll be lurking ;). As promised wife is getting new floors for putting up with this project. I'll be doing research on class D amps with built in DSP and bluetooth for driving each P7...

In the future, after 6 months, I do intend to redo the subs, first priority. Might not need 7 foot tall 10" 1/2" thick PVC tubes, but we'll see... Will experiment with push-pull, push-push and pull-pull. Might do some research in the sub section and class D section.

Thanks for y'alls inputs, it is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Maybe you should take a break and read, at least some of, wesayso's two towers adventures.

He thought a lot about what he wanted to do, before starting to build it.

It looks to me like your thinking is all over the place with no direction nor planning.

I'd take a step back, evaluate where you are, study your options and come up with a plan for your place and your setup.

And with line arrays, consider bringing DSP into the fold to help time align all those drivers, phase correction and EQ balance.

I'm pretty sure there is an interesting lecture on its way in this thread:
Infinite Line Source: analysis

So, Dr1v3n, if you still have time to spare, it will probably be an interesting read.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.