Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What do you guys/gals think of PVC for FR enclosure?
What do you guys/gals think of PVC for FR enclosure?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2017, 10:48 PM   #21
Dr1v3n is offline Dr1v3n  United States
diyAudio Member

It's very nice the endcaps are rounded internally and externally. It's also nice that the PVC is thicker on the front where the driver is as opposed the thickness where the pipe comes in: 8.5mm vs. ~6.8mm. The P7 flange thickness is only about 3mm which leaves a 5.5mm mounting surface, plenty sturdy. Perfect and flush mounted too, more on that later...
I've also researched how to stain PVC vs painting which can flake. More on that too when the parts come in, but it involves methyl ethyl ketone and petroleum dye mix in order to penetrate the PVC without affecting dimensions.

Cheers
Old 6th October 2017, 04:27 PM   #22
Jim Shearer is offline Jim Shearer  United States
diyAudio Member

Rather than messing w/ methyl ethyl ketone (AKA: MEK), I would find some paint intended for plastics. MEK is wicked, nasty stuff. IIRC, there were folks in the printing industry who suffered permanet neurological damage from that stuff!

Just the opinion of a retired analytical chemist.

Cheers, Jim
Old 6th October 2017, 11:17 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shearer View Post
Rather than messing w/ methyl ethyl ketone (AKA: MEK), I would find some paint intended for plastics. MEK is wicked, nasty stuff. IIRC, there were folks in the printing industry who suffered permanet neurological damage from that stuff!

Just the opinion of a retired analytical chemist.

Cheers, Jim
I read the wiki on Butanone/MEK. I don't want to endanger myself or my family with the lingering fumes after painting the tubes and endcaps with this stuff. So, I'm abandoning this process. I'll find another way to color coordinate the enclosures with the drivers.
Thanks very much for your post Jim!
Old 7th October 2017, 12:10 AM   #24
suprf1y is offline suprf1y  Canada
diyAudio Member

I used both Krylon fusion primer (withautomotive paint) and paint intended for plastics on the fenders of my vintage MX bike and they didn't crack, chip or separate in several years of racing and washing with a pressure washer, so it can be done. Prep is the key.
Old 10th October 2017, 02:53 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Ok, I finally got the tubes in. Jeezus what a mess. Only got 13 out of 28...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070235.jpg (231.3 KB, 199 views)
Old 10th October 2017, 02:57 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

All parts here for 4 experimental units. Now how to tell if the holes for the drivers have been drilled 'true' center. I'll mount the drivers and literally just roll the endcaps and observe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070232.jpg (204.1 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg P1070238.jpg (221.0 KB, 195 views)
Old 10th October 2017, 03:17 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

My babies mounted. They roll true. The 'manufacturing' process is established. Now to see if they will perform better than a rectangular box setup!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070241.jpg (182.7 KB, 191 views)
Old 11th October 2017, 06:07 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Got 2 of the new ones wired up . I'll be listening to them for the next couple weeks to break them in.
I should've gotten 9" long tubes because both endcaps add about 3 inches to overall volume. Also, these 5" PVC tubes actually measure 5 3/8" ID (136.5mm) 5 9/16" OD (141.3mm) for .2cuft or 5.7litres.
With no stuffing/felt or internal damping they sound very good at low volumes... Will have to wait to try louder volumes. Compared to my arrays, they sound less 'boomy' buts it's not a fair comparison yet as these aren't broken in.
I'm currently wiring up the other 2 and trying to figure out a temporary and long term mounting solutions.

Cheers

Last edited by Dr1v3n; 11th October 2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11th October 2017, 06:19 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Here's a size comparison. The good news is they both feel very similar in weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070242.jpg (203.1 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by Dr1v3n; 11th October 2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 1st November 2017, 10:03 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Gears churning for 24 PVC enclosures, including newer more eye appealing attachment fixtures. No wasted PVC, except the dust.

Shortened the enclosure to about .11cuft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070244.jpg (303.7 KB, 104 views)

What do you guys/gals think of PVC for FR enclosure?Hide this!Advertise here!