Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What do you guys/gals think of PVC for FR enclosure?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2017, 11:21 PM   #91
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Convolution and an app, like JRiver or Foobar.

One amp, or bi-amping if preferred.
Old 16th November 2017, 11:45 PM   #92
Dr1v3n is offline Dr1v3n  United States
diyAudio Member

Since these drivers can only take 20W, I Have Been looking into driving each of these P7's with a 50-100W class D amp with bluetooth. They're about $25US each and I can mount them on the monoliths.
I've heard old school class D amps and they were harsh. Willing to experiment with new school..

Last edited by Dr1v3n; 16th November 2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 17th November 2017, 03:48 PM   #93
Think is online now Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Are the drivers broken in before you mounted them? Otherwise the sound will probably become better in next few months of listening.
I listened to the scorpions part; why would you have a phase problem? Not just eq?
Swap your subs polarity to find out if there is a big problem.

// Have you ever tried putting all your subs next to each other spread over the width of the room? (max 2 foot (~ 1/4 wave length) a part if they crossover at 150hz), you will be surprised of the difference this will make.

Last edited by Think; 17th November 2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 17th November 2017, 11:36 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think View Post
Are the drivers broken in before you mounted them? Otherwise the sound will probably become better in next few months of listening...
You have a good point there and I am slightly impatient. 4 of the 12 drivers are new per side and I put 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom of each side. Still no tweeter yet, might not even need them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think View Post
...I listened to the scorpions part; why would you have a phase problem? Not just eq?
Swap your subs polarity to find out if there is a big problem.

// Have you ever tried putting all your subs next to each other spread over the width of the room? (max 2 foot (~ 1/4 wave length) a part if they crossover at 150hz), you will be surprised of the difference this will make.
Another good point. There's a serious issue with the subs the way they're currently stacked... I was aiming for a half array on the subwoofers, but I see this is a very bad idea. I've read pros and cons, but I think I'm experiencing more cons in my smallish room with cathedral ceiling.

I won't be around much next few months as I have new debt, but I'll be lurking . As promised wife is getting new floors for putting up with this project. I'll be doing research on class D amps with built in DSP and bluetooth for driving each P7...

In the future, after 6 months, I do intend to redo the subs, first priority. Might not need 7 foot tall 10" 1/2" thick PVC tubes, but we'll see... Will experiment with push-pull, push-push and pull-pull. Might do some research in the sub section and class D section.

Thanks for y'alls inputs, it is much appreciated!

Last edited by Dr1v3n; 17th November 2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 18th November 2017, 02:48 PM   #95
wesayso is online now wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
Maybe you should take a break and read, at least some of, wesayso's two towers adventures.

He thought a lot about what he wanted to do, before starting to build it.

It looks to me like your thinking is all over the place with no direction nor planning.

I'd take a step back, evaluate where you are, study your options and come up with a plan for your place and your setup.

And with line arrays, consider bringing DSP into the fold to help time align all those drivers, phase correction and EQ balance.
I'm pretty sure there is an interesting lecture on its way in this thread:
Infinite Line Source: analysis

So, Dr1v3n, if you still have time to spare, it will probably be an interesting read.
Old 18th November 2017, 03:46 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesayso View Post
I'm pretty sure there is an interesting lecture on its way in this thread:
Infinite Line Source: analysis

So, Dr1v3n, if you still have time to spare, it will probably be an interesting read.
Thanks for the invite! I'll be following along.

What do you guys/gals think of PVC for FR enclosure?Hide this!Advertise here!