Paper Cone Treatments

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm surprised Mark Audio and Fostex loudspeakers benefit from it, I thought they are very well made.

They are well built, and tend to match better than other brands i have had thru here, the MAs a level of consitency better than any other i have had thru here. But both of these driver brands are aimed at being affordable.

EnABLing any one of these drivers takes considerably longer than it likely takes to assemble at least a dozen drivers.

Treated drivers are for those with fairly highly information rich systems and for people who have the hearing acuity to appreciate them, but in many informal tests, even rookies can appreciate the differences in many cases — most satisfying to CHris & i when the response was non-verbal.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks planet10, for the tips on modifying 12P. Do you know if anyone has increased the magnetic strength?

No. I have not played with A12p near as much as A10p, as i consider A10p the overall better driver. Same voice, goes lower, higher and has higher DDR. The A12p will move more air and can be more dynamic.

Mark has taken great care to optimize the Alpairs as much as he can. I try to change that as little as possible.

Do note that despite some labeling them larger tha A12p is 6.5”, A10 5.25”.

dave

Treated drivers are for those with fairly highly information rich systems and for people who have the hearing acuity to appreciate them
Let's not go there again Dave, you know I don't buy into all that ;) It's surprising what us deaf old codgers can discern, and it's been "proved" :) It seems like a risky business and highly personal and subjective, have you never thought it useful to measure?

Hello everyone

I may be wrong but I believe Dave does and has done. I have a pair of FE208 enabled drivers I got through eBay and they had a different datasheet with data for both separate drivers.

From my work so far with FD61 I am designing, it's been clear that you need to take the results and your ears into account. Some materials I have used for cones measure better than others but then sound worse. Polypropylene being the prime example.

Ultimately it takes experiencing all these combinations to figure out what you like most, which is exactly where the FD61 project originates from.

Paul

It certainly makes no money, i do it for the love of improving people’s musical experience.
It's still personal and subjective though, maybe some people would prefer it done in a different way. Perhaps if you measured you would find a more accurate way of removing resonances that didn't take so long to achieve. Why don't you consider a more objective approach?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.