FR 4-6.5" comparison: 4FE32, Alpair-10P, SPH-60X, W4-1337SDF, FE166En

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I want to build a ported BR box up to 7 maybe 7.5 liters, as simple as possible. Yes, I know it's small and I might sacrifice a bit of low end. Still not sure if FR or 2way, but doubt now is for the main driver. These will output sound from 2xModulus-86 by tomchr, but most likely using the SMPS86, so capped at 28W per channel. Room size: 4.5 x 3.5m, o around 15 sq m, but an open space (total size might be 21 sq m). Room height 2.5m

I've been looking for options and I like these:

Faital Pro 4FE32 (91 dB),
Markaudio Alpair-10P (89.6 dB),
Monacor/Celestion SPH-60X (89 dB).
Tang Band W4-1337SDF (89 dB),
Fostex FE166En (94 dB),

Anyone has listened to these can share a comparative opinion? Any other small-yet-good alternative?

Thank you

Note: this thread deviated from here but we agreed it was better to start a fresh one with more specific question (my approach changed with the replies).

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If you have a mod86, you have lots of power so why limit yourself to high sensitivity drivers? I have used the bamboo cone variant of the titanium Tang Band and the 3.5in version of the 4FE35 so familiar with their sound and build quality. The MA and Fostex will have less than flat response and FE166eN does not have enough xmax for an effective bass reflex. Fostex route for BR would be FF105WK which is more neutral but a slight peak around 5kHz IIRC. I have the FF105WK and can recommend them as well. I don't have any experience with Monacor. Build quality on Tang Band is very nice and probably the best looking if that's important. The 4FE35 is a good choice for smooth sound and high sensitivity with flat neutral response and no peaky response surprises. It's very industrial looking though - not suitable for a high visibility speaker with an open face. Needs grill cloth.

Which is best for bass reflex and decent extension? The Tang Band should work very well with combination of great looks and deep extension along with highs. Second choice would be FF105WK.

Having heard only two of the cited list, I'd nominate the A10P, but if you're truly limited to 7-7.5 liters, you might want to consider a slightly smaller driver - such as either the MA 7cm class ( A7.3 or Pluvia7), or the 105WK.

Hoffman strikes again!

As X noted, the mod86 has sufficient power for the slightly lower sensitivity the smaller drivers may bring to the table, and if it's safe to assume that your enclosure size constraint is due to room size, that both the lower output and reduced LF extension might be moot.

Sorry everyone, didn't notice my post lacked some crucial info. Mod86 will be capped at 28W due to the power supply. I just edited first post.

If you have a mod86, you have lots of power so why limit yourself to high sensitivity drivers?
As X noted, the mod86 has sufficient power for the slightly lower sensitivity the smaller drivers may bring to the table, and if it's safe to assume that your enclosure size constraint is due to room size, that both the lower output and reduced LF extension might be moot.

Sorry, see just above. And yes, enclosure size dictated by room size, ... and wife :)

I have used the bamboo cone variant of the titanium Tang Band and the 3.5in version of the 4FE35 so familiar with their sound and build quality. The MA and Fostex will have less than flat response and FE166eN does not have enough xmax for an effective bass reflex. Fostex route for BR would be FF105WK which is more neutral but a slight peak around 5kHz IIRC. I have the FF105WK and can recommend them as well. I don't have any experience with Monacor. Build quality on Tang Band is very nice and probably the best looking if that's important. The 4FE35 is a good choice for smooth sound and high sensitivity with flat neutral response and no peaky response surprises. It's very industrial looking though - not suitable for a high visibility speaker with an open face. Needs grill cloth.

Which is best for bass reflex and decent extension? The Tang Band should work very well with combination of great looks and deep extension along with highs. Second choice would be FF105WK.

Great info on all those drivers. I don't mind the industrial looking anyway. Will have a look at the FF105WK but I think it was less efficient, see last note below.

Having heard only two of the cited list, I'd nominate the A10P, but if you're truly limited to 7-7.5 liters, you might want to consider a slightly smaller driver - such as either the MA 7cm class ( A7.3 or Pluvia7), or the 105WK.

Taking note on the A7.3/Pluvia. As with the FF105WK I think they're less efficient though?

Hoffman strikes again!

Maybe I just need to be less "demanding" on SPL dB. The idea about getting "efficient" drivers was to compensate "lack of power" (even though 28W is quite enough I guess).

Thank you all and again, sorry for misleading first post.

I'm interested in results on the 4FE32 . Looks good on paper ...
The FF105Wk is pretty nice up to the point a nasty spike around 7 or 7.5k comes in. I have found this driver frustrating, relative to the FE103e. The 105 has a better midrange but that HF spike is more aggressive than anything the 103 has.
The best of all the Fostex drivers I have heard ( and that's most of them ) in my opinion is the FX120. I have just bought four for an OB project ( 2x FX120 each side ). They are getting hard to source, though.

I'm interested in results on the 4FE32 . Looks good on paper ...

It does! :)

zgtc,

I use a Mod-86 too; the Connex SMPS I am using gives ~25V, so getting probably around 28 watts also. Has enough juice to drive my speakers to satisfying levels (for me) - I am using a 2 way speaker with sensitivity in the low 80s.

Good then! As I said maybe I'm just being too focused on "high-ish" SPL because of the reduced power and I should just get a nice little speaker without bothering too much.

Here is some data on 4FE35. Looks like there might be a peak near 8kHz. But pretty smooth overall.

The Nautaloss Ref Monitor

Just had a look.

Listening to them I can't decide which is better, the 4FE35 sounds slightly more forgiving with more raw recordings, the A7.3 having slightly clearer highs... though I'm thinking about a dedicated tweeter for above 6-7KHz.

So my initial though of getting a pair of the much cheaper Faital is not so bad, apparently? I can always add a small tweeter (will make sure the placement in box allows for it).

As to the returning question / concern over sensitivity / efficiency, I think the question of room size should be investigated as well. Few of us are completely free from the need to compromise for a variety of factors - and the room controls far more than we often like.

In a smallish room, unless you're looking for "realistic" SPLs - whatever that means to you - even the slightly lower sensitivity units like the Alpair / Mark Audio models or Fostex 105WK that X mentioned can be more than satisfying with the amount of power you've mentioned.

I happen to be a big fan of the A7.3, and A10P, but the latter might want a larger box to do its LF performance justice than it sounds like you can afford the space for.

As to the returning question / concern over sensitivity / efficiency, I think the question of room size should be investigated as well. Few of us are completely free from the need to compromise for a variety of factors - and the room controls far more than we often like.

In a smallish room, unless you're looking for "realistic" SPLs - whatever that means to you - even the slightly lower sensitivity units like the Alpair / Mark Audio models or Fostex 105WK that X mentioned can be more than satisfying with the amount of power you've mentioned.

Good point, room size: 4.5 x 3.5m, o around 15 sq m, but an open space (total size might be 21 sq m). Height 2.5m. So small-ish in Europe, really tiny for american standards :)

I happen to be a big fan of the A7.3, and A10P, but the latter might want a larger box to do its LF performance justice than it sounds like you can afford the space for.

Will investigate more on the 7.3, thank you again

That's approx 230ft sq by my reckoning, in which I'd think the smaller drivers would be quite adequate. There are some excellent smaller designs for the A7.3 and its cousin the Pluvia7, as well as the Fostex mentioned. Constraints of time and finances prevent me from taste testing every viable candidate make / model, but I've never been disappointed with the Alpairs.

That's approx 230ft sq by my reckoning, in which I'd think the smaller drivers would be quite adequate. There are some excellent smaller designs for the A7.3 and its cousin the Pluvia7, as well as the Fostex mentioned. Constraints of time and finances prevent me from taste testing every viable candidate make / model, but I've never been disappointed with the Alpairs.

you've been of great help, much appreciated!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
FWIW, the FF105WK works very well in a tapered TL. I built one and really like the sound. Nice tight bass with the proper level of stuffing/damping added to the line to smooth the double impedance peak to a Sonos with two small bumps. That adjustment gives the best group delay.

FF105WK TL for Desktop/Bookshelf

It needs a little EQ to tame the 7kHz peak or use a passive notch filter. Some
People like this though as it gives more bite on HF details.

502885d1441684842-eva-foam-performance-speaker-enclosures-ff105wk-tl-front-oblique.png

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.