trade offs with a bass shelf vented enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
playing with tb 1808 in a box modeling program. if i put one in a 5 cu. ft. box tuned to 38 it gives me an f3 of 35.8hz. my quesion is, are power handling specs still true or will it destroy itself at its rated 30 watts rms? besides having a giant box is there a trade off to tuning the driver this low.

It blows up the box size without a whole lot of difference in overall performance. In this case the lower cutoff is only slightly decreased with the attendant increase in group delay. In general bass shelf tuning could be described as allowing the sound to reach deeper, depending on the signal (music), but the lowest notes seem to come in a little "late", and a bit quieter. It doesn't appeal to the fullrange purist, of course, but for 200 bucks in main drivers you could do a lot in the same space with an additional relatively light duty helper woofer. For best sound you wouldn't really want to approach Xmax in the 1808 anyway.

If you wanted to swing it, I can confirm that the Dayton PA-310 Linkwitz Transformed to 30Hz /.707 sounds really good sealed in 36 Liters. Here it is running up to 250Hz to meet an Eminence Beta 8a..

This would be the not so light duty woofer.

Attachments

• IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 131
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.