ACA Speaker short list

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But I read the FH series need to be quite off the back wall to work well, which might not be easy if the room is on the smallish side.

They might work, but it will depend on the room's design.
And I also heard good things about the FH series as well from builders here.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
But I read the FH series need to be quite off the back wall to work well

On the contrary, close to a wall or corner is best to be able to use the wall(s) as an extention to the horn mouth. Bass quantity dictated by room, placement, driver, listner preference can be adjusted with the amount of stuffing below the driver.

dave

Dayton PA130-8 in a 0.53x Karlsonator. Or dual PA130-8 wired in parallel in and XKi for 95dB at 2.83v sensitivity and capable of a 50Hz to 15kHz performance in a budget driver.

The Dayton PA130-8 in a 0.53x Karlsonator was my first choice until I discovered yesterday that there is a local supplier of FaitalPro. And the prices are so low that I'd be a fool to ignore it. I have a choice between 3FE22 and 4FE32. What do you think is the best option now?

Yes, dual 8ohms in parallel for 4ohm speaker that is 95dB at 2.83v. Not bad for $36 in drivers.

Skylar88: if you have ready access to Faital Pro, a dual 3FE25-8ohms in parallel in a 0.53x Karlsonator is quite impressively loud at 97dB and 2.83v. Should sound good as those are smooth drivers.

Thanks X, I was actually thinking to ask you about that. Wow, 97dB.

I can only get the newer (I suppose) 3FE22's. Would they be suitable as duals too? I suppose a single 4FE32 wouldn't be as good in a 0.53x K.

And then a question about mounting the FaitalPro's FR drivers. Seeing that they are rear-mount, would it matter if it's front-mounted? Rear-mounting in a Karlsonator wouldn't be so easy.

Christo

Fair chance that the ACA will be 'better' than any speaker you are looking at. When (?) you move up into a bigger Pass amp then you will be needing to replace that speaker. As it Will be an obvious bottleneck.
As in don't waste effort searching for the ideal best speaker.. yet.

Fair chance that the ACA will be 'better' than any speaker you are looking at. When (?) you move up into a bigger Pass amp then you will be needing to replace that speaker. As it Will be an obvious bottleneck.
As in don't waste effort searching for the ideal best speaker.. yet.

Hmm, food for thought, that is. :yes:

Thanks Bare. So, what would you suggest as better speakers for bigger Papa amps. Not that I'll build it now. Just curious. And is that because the bigger amps would require less efficient speakers?

Christo

Hmm, food for thought, that is. :yes:

Thanks Bare. So, what would you suggest as better speakers for bigger Papa amps. Not that I'll build it now. Just curious. And is that because the bigger amps would require less efficient speakers?

Christo

Nope....

It is the journey.

Gotta start somewhere.

TABAQs, Karlsonators, FrugalHorns.... they are just a mean to get to the sound we aspire.

Until you start building something, it is just a dream.

Eat the elephant one bite at a time.

I dont like the thought of auditioning a new amplifier using a new, untested speaker combination.

If you are making your own cabinets I suggest starting with Pluvia 7s in ported 9 liter boxes. No crossover or BSC for good sound right out of the box. You're not going to feel the bass in your chest, but you will hear all but the lowest bass.

Then you can audition your new amp and have no question about it's capabilities. No second guessing whether what you are hearing is crossover-related. Or multi-driver matching.

Then migrate to a FAST system. You can be enjoying the simple system while making new cabinets for the sub (or a combined cabinet). I don't know which woofer I would use - haven't crossed that bridge yet.

Herm

Skylar88: if you have ready access to Faital Pro, a dual 3FE25-8ohms in parallel in a 0.53x Karlsonator is quite impressively loud at 97dB and 2.83v. Should sound good as those are smooth drivers.

X, I'm wondering why you put two 8ohm drivers in parallel and not two 4ohm drivers in series. Is it only for improved sensitivity? If you say it sounds great, I'll believe you, but have you tried it?

And why the ferrite version and not Neo magnet?

I dont like the thought of auditioning a new amplifier using a new, untested speaker combination.

If you are making your own cabinets I suggest starting with Pluvia 7s in ported 9 liter boxes...

Herm, Twocents happens to have a pair of very nice sounding Tannoy's in his current system. I'm pretty sure that he will 'audition' his ACA's with them. And for that matter, so will I when my ACA's are built. We're working together, although we're in different cities, 60km apart.

We found out that there is a local FaitalPro agent and we can get Faital's at much lower prices than any other decent brand. So, we're stuck with Faitals... not that it's a bad thing - I hope. X seems to think they sound great.

Christo

X, I'm wondering why you put two 8ohm drivers in parallel and not two 4ohm drivers in series. Is it only for improved sensitivity? If you say it sounds great, I'll believe you, but have you tried it?

I'm not X, but I did build X's 0.53 Karlsonator w/ two TC9FD per box. I tried running the drivers in parallel & in series. When in series, the inductance of the two voice coils resulted in weak high freqs. When in parallel, the high freqs were quite good. This was the result using my old Sansui 4000 and Yamaha CR-1000 receivers, which aren't bothered by the 4 ohm configuration.

Not sure how other drivers and /or amps would perform, but that's my story.

Cheers, Jim

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you are making your own cabinets I suggest starting with Pluvia 7s in ported 9 liter boxes.

13 litres is what i consider optimal for these.

I haven't had a chance to post it on frugal-phile.comyet, and i don't currently have ftp access so here are the free Classic Golden Ratio Plu-Ken7 plans.

dave

Attachments

• CGR-pk7-plan-190916.pdf
    84.9 KB · Views: 198
Free plans

Thanks Dave! I always like the price of free plans!

I was digging around on your site for permanent cabinet plans, and am using the 9 liter ported as temporary boxes.

This 13 liter plan looks perfect - And your recommendation is always money in the bank.

Christo - I also investigated Faital. Lots of positive feedback for an inexpensive driver. I was going to go there myself until I learned of the Pluvia. Cheap here in the US!

Cant wait to hear your impressions and opinions on both the Faital and ACA...

Herm

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

And why the ferrite version and not Neo magnet?

The parallel gives more sensitivity to the power limited ACA. Let's face it, the ACA with only 14dB of gain and maybe 5w if you push it hard isn't goi g to get loud. But if you have speakers that hit 100dB at 4vrms then that's very listened able.

The ferrite costs way less and has slightly higher Qts for deeper bass I. The Karlsonator design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.