ACA Speaker short list

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
ACA doesn’t have enough power to drive LS3/5A to satisfying levels. You need at least a 50w amp. A 25w amp could work if volume level is moderate.

They are about 84dB at 2.83v and I normally would like speakers to reach 89dB with 6dB reserve for headroom on dynamic peaks. So 95dB max reachable. That’s 11dB from 84dB or about 4 doubling of 1w. That’s 15w to 16w. Can ACA reach 15w?

Try MOFO amp. It will do close to that.

I have the ACA monoblocs with the FHXLs now for 6 months, and no complaints. They are in a large bedroom driven off Apple TV -> SMSL Sanskrit DAC -> ACA -> FHXL. Right up against the wall but they still sound as good as more fancy stuff in family room.

In request above, I was asking for commercially available speakers for ACAs (Under $500). My friend chose Klipsch RP-600M’s ($430) and he’s quite happy. Reportedly 96dB. I can say they can go ear-splittingly loud in his 15x20’ room.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...ACA mono blocks and chinese replica LS3/5A speakers...

Even more critical than the low sensitivity is that if the XO causes the same kind of impedance curve as the original the high output impedance (Rout) of bridged ACA will exacerbate the issue. If so, i’d guess you’d have fattish, underdamped bass, and a bit of a rise in the upper mids/lower treble.

In comparison Alan’s FHXL with Alpair 10PeN are 90 dB and love the highish Rout.

If you have a small room, are close, or not listen very loud than the ACAs will play loud enuff but only you can say if the FR anomalies impact the sonic performance of the speaker.

dave

…If you have a small room, are close, or not listen very loud than the ACAs will play loud enuff but only you can say if the FR anomalies impact the sonic performance of the speaker. …

Thank you Dave. Yes, I have a small room. Speaker should be on or near my desk (office), its not to a wall, free in the room. Would like to test out near field listening.

So maybe someone can point me to a speaker kit (including housing) or commercial available speaker for a desk. klipsch rp-600 are way to large for this. ls3/5a clone would have nice size, but not that suitable for ACA. would prefer good second hat speaker. price range up to € 750. thank you very much for any help, I'm tipsing in the dark here :)

If you want fullrange drivers, i don't know full kits available, only plans. Maybe look at the bookshelfs of Planet10, or you can build the one i build with the Mark Audio 10.3... I did power mine a time with an Sugden 10w amp (i had it on loan) and even that was already more than enough for my office of 3.5x3.9x2.5m. I normally use a Marantz PM5004 for it. The plan for mine is free: Dropbox - Mark-Audio-Alpair-10M-Slot-Ported-Official-CAD-drawings.pdf - Simplify your life

But in general, you want speakers that are at least 85dB, and preferable +90dB at 1w/1m if you want to use the ACA. My plan is about 88dB efficient, wich is good for fairly small rooms with this amp. For full kits look arround at parts express, Meniscus audio, Jantzen audio, ... and find one that suits you.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Just set up those 2 way Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers (the small ones designed by Andrew Jones that were a fad a few years ago) on stands a meter from the rear wall in my new, large but live acoustically, living room and connected to a 2ch ACA. They sounded very very good! Not bassy, but what would you expect!

Just goes to show that it’s worth trying different options even if they don’t appear optimal. So with the new ACA 1.8 monoblock choices I’d say try all the settings, you may be surprised.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... ls3/5a clone would have nice size, but not that suitable for ACA. would prefer good second hat speaker.

I have tweaked my milliSize boxes (same size as an LS3.5A turned sideways) for a broad range of full-range drivers. A 1-way has significant advantages than more-ways for desktop listening. They also have a well behaved impedance.

You’ll have trouble spending $750 unless you pay someone to build the box.

At that kind of budget my first choice would be Alpair 7ms. The MAOP version if you can find any. 87-88 dB.

This a batch of the original millisize, the mFonken (c 2005)

quartet-mFonken.jpg

dave

Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.