Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

new Morel TSCM 634 as a full range?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2017, 02:15 PM   #1
nipper1 is offline nipper1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default new Morel TSCM 634 as a full range?

Has anyone tried the new Morel TSCM 634 "midrange" as a fullrange yet; some commercial designs are doing this? I have also seen 2-ways; I am thinking "almost" fullrange with a larger AMT tweeter above possibly 8KHz. (I am NOT worried about beaming so much.).

As a "fullrange"; I was thinking of a simple vented box to start; if the Qt is just too high and this doesn't work out, I could seal the TSCM and add a "woofer" in the same box.

Fullrange, 2-way, 3-way, whatever; what are the opinions of the sound "quality"; I've read this is very open, engaging, accurate and delivers extra layers of fine detail lesser drivers just muddy up???

Thanks!
Old 2nd September 2017, 02:18 AM   #2
mikefoxtrot69 is offline mikefoxtrot69  United States
diyAudio Member

I just saw your post and wanted to respond. Since you are asking about its fullrange capabilities, I am assuming you saw the following article.
6moons audio reviews: Eltim Supreme 614 Solo

I used the Morel driver and correction filter mentioned in the article, the only difference is that I had installed it in a constant cross-section transmission line box. I will say this, the driver is outstanding! I get bass response that is so tuneful and perfectly complimentary to the great midrange. The highs are there too! The response of this driver is just incredible, especially in a transmission line box. I am powering mine with a Peachtree amp and the driver just stays clean until ir runs out of xmax. There is never a sign of straining until the limited suspension travel bottoms out. I definitely get pretty loud up to that point!

I am glad you are considering an AMT tweeter at 8k. I have a Fountek NeoCD1.0 that I will be adding and crossing over at 8k myself. The reasoning for me is that the midrange is so good that I wanted the crossover well out of the range where our hearing is most sensitive. Also, this driver is that good that I know have a super tweeter would be the best way to go. This will allow the driver to handle the meat of the music and allow the tweeter to handle extension, air, dynamics, etc. At leat that is my reasoning. It's funny that you are considering the exact setup I am working on. I would say run it fullrange to determine whether you need the tweeter or not. For me, I will be building a transmission line subwoofer as well and I want to be able to to maximize the power to the driver and ensure it will always stay clean since it will be a wideband midrange in my setup.

As for box to start with, I cannot recommend the TL enough. It is super easy to build and as far as I am concerned, it maximizes the driver. I was able to compare this to a SEAS ER18RNX mid from the Zaph SR71 kit. My buddy was so impressed with my TL box and it happened to model well for that driver. I will say that this driver is definitely all that and significant improvement over the SEAS. Rest assured the extra money is very noticable and well worth it!!!

Hope this provides some insight and apologize for gushing over this driver. It truly is a phenominal performer!
Old 5th February 2018, 09:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefoxtrot69 View Post
I just saw your post and wanted to respond. Since you are asking about its fullrange capabilities, I am assuming you saw the following article.
6moons audio reviews: Eltim Supreme 614 Solo

I used the Morel driver and correction filter mentioned in the article, the only difference is that I had installed it in a constant cross-section transmission line box. I will say this, the driver is outstanding! I get bass response that is so tuneful and perfectly complimentary to the great midrange. The highs are there too! The response of this driver is just incredible, especially in a transmission line box. I am powering mine with a Peachtree amp and the driver just stays clean until ir runs out of xmax. There is never a sign of straining until the limited suspension travel bottoms out. I definitely get pretty loud up to that point!

I am glad you are considering an AMT tweeter at 8k. I have a Fountek NeoCD1.0 that I will be adding and crossing over at 8k myself. The reasoning for me is that the midrange is so good that I wanted the crossover well out of the range where our hearing is most sensitive. Also, this driver is that good that I know have a super tweeter would be the best way to go. This will allow the driver to handle the meat of the music and allow the tweeter to handle extension, air, dynamics, etc. At leat that is my reasoning. It's funny that you are considering the exact setup I am working on. I would say run it fullrange to determine whether you need the tweeter or not. For me, I will be building a transmission line subwoofer as well and I want to be able to to maximize the power to the driver and ensure it will always stay clean since it will be a wideband midrange in my setup.

As for box to start with, I cannot recommend the TL enough. It is super easy to build and as far as I am concerned, it maximizes the driver. I was able to compare this to a SEAS ER18RNX mid from the Zaph SR71 kit. My buddy was so impressed with my TL box and it happened to model well for that driver. I will say that this driver is definitely all that and significant improvement over the SEAS. Rest assured the extra money is very noticable and well worth it!!!

Hope this provides some insight and apologize for gushing over this driver. It truly is a phenominal performer!
I "may" be getting ready to get a pair of these soon; which box did you use? Can I buy a flat-pack/kit? I have a pair of PE (Dayton) BR-1 boxes that I might try first. Has anybody tried this Morel TSCM in a vented box of about 15 liters??? (approx. 1/2 ft.^3). What tweeters have people tried with these? I'm thinking AMT still starting at 8KHz but would like to know what others may have tried or heard. Thanks!
Old 6th February 2018, 01:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

woooops. I took another look at the TSP's; it appears the Q is way too high for 15L vented. I suppose I could try blocking the vent. I did a small vented box years ago that was purposely mis-aligned because I was experimenting with vent tube stuffing materials. I actually got some decent, extended bass that was NOT boomy using this method. It seems I read some papers YEARS ago where others had studied and experimented with vent damping, de-tuning and stuffing. Do any of you out there have any links that could point me in the direction of these methods?
Old 6th February 2018, 02:04 PM   #5
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I think it would sound quite good, with a nice extended low end, in a MLTL design.

I'm planning to do a sim, just to confirm.
Old 6th February 2018, 05:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
I think it would sound quite good, with a nice extended low end, in a MLTL design.

I'm planning to do a sim, just to confirm.
OK, yep; MLTL probably the "best" choice!?? Keep us up to date. Thanks!
Old 7th February 2018, 01:06 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I did a quick sim and it showed a nice extension down to 28Hz. Impressive.

I didn't have more time to tweak it as we were hit with a 6.6 earthquake overnight here, and it was pretty hectic.

I'll come back to it later. It really looks like an amazing driver, albeit expensive.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
I did a quick sim and it showed a nice extension down to 28Hz. Impressive.

I didn't have more time to tweak it as we were hit with a 6.6 earthquake overnight here, and it was pretty hectic.

I'll come back to it later. It really looks like an amazing driver, albeit expensive.
yep! Impressive! 28Hz! Piano low A is 27.5 Hz so this one driver will cover over 98% of all instruments! (except very large pipe organs, bass drums and some electronic/synthesizers!!!).

Hope there are no Tsnamis! (sp???) from the earthquake; I spent years going into and out of Japan with the Navy so I got to experience the Western Pacific first hand (Typhoons, volcanoes, earthquakes, etc.)!
Old 7th February 2018, 03:01 AM   #9
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Hi perceval,

Hope you and your family are safe. Just saw the news on the quake. Our prayers are with you. Take care.
Old 7th February 2018, 04:34 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

Yes, we are safe. My house looks like it was built strongly, so it's just shaking a lot, but no damages.

Others have not been so lucky in the city.

Thank you for your concern.

new Morel TSCM 634 as a full range?Hide this!Advertise here!