Need advice, should I jump into Lowther league?

question : as of topic

• Yes : it will bring you a new nirvana

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • No : it's a waste of time and money

Votes: 24 82.8%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
my impression from top to bottom position :

- Aurel Bryan 8" : local made driver, roll off starting 10k, some people said it laid back but for me because it lacks on high freq. adding super tweeter really help it which i usually use 1.5uf filter. the designer said new driver has more balance sound and there is a field coil option

- Audio Nirvana 8 classic : my all around favorite, baffleless will make it sound Honky, the graph respond shows peak and dip above 10k. put it on baffle then it will shine. super tweeter less needed but with 0.68uf adds the airyness

- Alpair 10p : not good to listen on low volume, you have to crank it up to make it enjoyable. currently it's placed on minionken and with small size you can get decent bass. i usually add car tweeter to balance the top freq on pop recording which is poor quality but on audiophile recording it plays fine. I'm building FrugalHorn XL for watching blu-ray movie but still in stereo because i have no AVR yet, someday 5 channel with all alpair seems interesting.

- PRV 5MR450 : I haven't played alot with new acquisition but it shows great potential, I can say it surpass AN 8 Classic with lack of midbass. but overall i like it alot, even with 25W class a i still can't hear on full volume because it will be too loud, can't imagine if you drive it with 200W clasa ab.

- Peerless TG9FD : little beast with good sound for low volume, the cone can move incredibly. just realize it's only 8W rating and i tested it with LM3886, it bottom up easily with small opening potentiometer. This will be my speaker TV powered by 20W class d

for future plan, I will keep 2 audio system :
- traditional : cd player - dac - LXmini crossover - class a for FR & high power class ab for Beta 15a on Open Baffle. AB 8" or AN 8 classic will be used here

- millennial : 2 minidsp 2x4HD for 4ways nude baffleless, PRV will be the main player with 21" & 12" pro driver support + Beston rt002-dipole. powered by class d and ab

another FR on my watch list is Satori MR16P or MR13P to compete with PRV

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That PRV was looking pretty good in this no-baffle system:
HnHw1fU.jpg

What you need to know about Lowther

There is only one driver, and only one configuration of that driver, which is acceptable. All the rest of the Lowther drivers are a problem.

Look at the PM6A driver FR curve. The Aluminium voice-coil version shows that 10dB rising response. Some of the other drivers are worse.

Look at the PM6A driver version with silver voice-coil. The FR curve does not have that horrible peaky treble. This is the ONLY driver that I would consider from Lowther.

So when you read about Lowther shout you are reading about a huge rising treble response. When you read that Nelson Pass likes the Lowther PM6A-Silver, it's because it's the one driver that doesn't.

Attachments

• PM6A-Aluminium.png
    PM6A-Aluminium.png
    415.6 KB · Views: 253
  • PM6A-Silver.png
    PM6A-Silver.png
    433.1 KB · Views: 252
That PRV was looking pretty good in this no-baffle system:
HnHw1fU.jpg

my unfinished project, only need to create back support which i have completed for woofer, just too lazy to start on subwoofer. the fullrange driver will be hanged using steel wire to avoid any vibration. fullrange swapping can be done easily. with the back support that cover entire basket, I can go with baffleless but esthetically not looking good.

There is only one driver, and only one configuration of that driver, which is acceptable. All the rest of the Lowther drivers are a problem.

Look at the PM6A driver FR curve. The Aluminium voice-coil version shows that 10dB rising response. Some of the other drivers are worse.

Look at the PM6A driver version with silver voice-coil. The FR curve does not have that horrible peaky treble. This is the ONLY driver that I would consider from Lowther.

So when you read about Lowther shout you are reading about a huge rising treble response. When you read that Nelson Pass likes the Lowther PM6A-Silver, it's because it's the one driver that doesn't.
an AVR and 75" led tv is already on my list for $2k budget, i still can't accept on PM5A or PM6A silver VC for that price. don't know maybe later once i have fulfilled my wishlit then i might return to look at Lowther :D

Attachments

• IMG_20190408_064820.jpg
    IMG_20190408_064820.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20190408_065231.jpg
    IMG_20190408_065231.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20181203_163636.jpg
    IMG_20181203_163636.jpg
    951.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20190410_073409.jpg
    IMG_20190410_073409.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2008
Paid Member
My DX-2 with rolled whizzer in a Hedlund horn shows the peak (not that high) in near field mesurement, but is surprisingly flat at the listening position. I must say I like these speakers a lot, especially with SET amplifiers. I can listen to them as they are, but for best enjoyment, I supplement them with bass speaker/subwoofer.

I have never expected any "bass" from a FullRange driver with 1mm xmax, more to coherent sound for vocal and treble. additional woofer/subwoofer is mandatory for me.

i know people with 45 or 300B admire single driver for whole spectrum but huge size for the box. I rather biamp with no/minimum baffle for FR then choose badass box for subwoofer which they are designed for.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member

I still think that, although I also have some nice Voxatives, Cubes, and Feastrex which are comparable.

:cheers:

if you get the chance, listen to a 15" full range driver - the bass is much better than those toy 4" drivers...
i can say the bass from my 21" is much better than my 15" fullrange :) or the treble is much more airy on my T90a or Beston rt002-dipole than all my FR inventory

I still think that, although I also have some nice Voxatives, Cubes, and Feastrex which are comparable.

:cheers:
hail to the Holy Fullrange:worship:

Have you heard the Jordan Eikona Nelson and gadut and anyone else?
I have not, Alpair 10p should be enough for me. i recon it's the clone of Jordan

Last edited:
Anyone who is interested, custom made Phenolic Damper for lowther. I only cut a few pieces but never had the mood or time to experiment with them.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
I've tried several Lowther's in open baffles but never for long.
The PM6A is the only one that came close (never heard the silver coil one).
Went from ML Electrostat's, to attempted Lowther OB, to an active 3 way horn system with subwoofers that is "in process"

Wife acceptance factor was High, No way, and 'getting there'

In my late teens I had a pair of PM6s in authentic Acoustica cabinets and an original Lowther amp with, if I remember correctly EL506 PP. That had a fantastic sound stage and purity but not the banging bass line that rock music of the era required. I sold it "for a song".
Maybe it's just nostalgia but I would love to hear a setup like that again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.