Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Need advice, should I jump into Lowther league?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: question : as of topic
Yes : it will bring you a new nirvana 5 19.23%
No : it's a waste of time and money 21 80.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th July 2019, 12:43 PM   #41
gadut is offline gadut  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

my impression from top to bottom position :

- Aurel Bryan 8" : local made driver, roll off starting 10k, some people said it laid back but for me because it lacks on high freq. adding super tweeter really help it which i usually use 1.5uf filter. the designer said new driver has more balance sound and there is a field coil option

- Audio Nirvana 8 classic : my all around favorite, baffleless will make it sound Honky, the graph respond shows peak and dip above 10k. put it on baffle then it will shine. super tweeter less needed but with 0.68uf adds the airyness

- Alpair 10p : not good to listen on low volume, you have to crank it up to make it enjoyable. currently it's placed on minionken and with small size you can get decent bass. i usually add car tweeter to balance the top freq on pop recording which is poor quality but on audiophile recording it plays fine. I'm building FrugalHorn XL for watching blu-ray movie but still in stereo because i have no AVR yet, someday 5 channel with all alpair seems interesting.

- PRV 5MR450 : I haven't played alot with new acquisition but it shows great potential, I can say it surpass AN 8 Classic with lack of midbass. but overall i like it alot, even with 25W class a i still can't hear on full volume because it will be too loud, can't imagine if you drive it with 200W clasa ab.

- Peerless TG9FD : little beast with good sound for low volume, the cone can move incredibly. just realize it's only 8W rating and i tested it with LM3886, it bottom up easily with small opening potentiometer. This will be my speaker TV powered by 20W class d

for future plan, I will keep 2 audio system :
- traditional : cd player - dac - LXmini crossover - class a for FR & high power class ab for Beta 15a on Open Baffle. AB 8" or AN 8 classic will be used here

- millennial : 2 minidsp 2x4HD for 4ways nude baffleless, PRV will be the main player with 21" & 12" pro driver support + Beston rt002-dipole. powered by class d and ab

another FR on my watch list is Satori MR16P or MR13P to compete with PRV
Old 20th July 2019, 02:50 PM   #42
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

That PRV was looking pretty good in this no-baffle system:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th July 2019, 03:29 PM   #43
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default What you need to know about Lowther

There is only one driver, and only one configuration of that driver, which is acceptable. All the rest of the Lowther drivers are a problem.

Look at the PM6A driver FR curve. The Aluminium voice-coil version shows that 10dB rising response. Some of the other drivers are worse.

Look at the PM6A driver version with silver voice-coil. The FR curve does not have that horrible peaky treble. This is the ONLY driver that I would consider from Lowther.

So when you read about Lowther shout you are reading about a huge rising treble response. When you read that Nelson Pass likes the Lowther PM6A-Silver, it's because it's the one driver that doesn't.
Attached Images
File Type: png PM6A-Aluminium.png (415.6 KB, 130 views)
File Type: png PM6A-Silver.png (433.1 KB, 125 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 20th July 2019, 04:19 PM   #44
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Right, they are FL/compound horn drivers.

GM
Old 20th July 2019, 06:53 PM   #45
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

even with horns I’m not sure they produce any kind of decent bass ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 20th July 2019, 07:26 PM   #46
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

Mystery bass!
Old 20th July 2019, 10:08 PM   #47
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Nelson 'donated' his Klein Horns AND the wall of slot loaded subs he developed to aid the Horn's one note bass.
Using HPDs in jensen imperials currently.
Old 21st July 2019, 01:30 PM   #48
gadut is offline gadut  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
That PRV was looking pretty good in this no-baffle system:
Click the image to open in full size.
my unfinished project, only need to create back support which i have completed for woofer, just too lazy to start on subwoofer. the fullrange driver will be hanged using steel wire to avoid any vibration. fullrange swapping can be done easily. with the back support that cover entire basket, I can go with baffleless but esthetically not looking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
There is only one driver, and only one configuration of that driver, which is acceptable. All the rest of the Lowther drivers are a problem.

Look at the PM6A driver FR curve. The Aluminium voice-coil version shows that 10dB rising response. Some of the other drivers are worse.

Look at the PM6A driver version with silver voice-coil. The FR curve does not have that horrible peaky treble. This is the ONLY driver that I would consider from Lowther.

So when you read about Lowther shout you are reading about a huge rising treble response. When you read that Nelson Pass likes the Lowther PM6A-Silver, it's because it's the one driver that doesn't.
an AVR and 75" led tv is already on my list for $2k budget, i still can't accept on PM5A or PM6A silver VC for that price. don't know maybe later once i have fulfilled my wishlit then i might return to look at Lowther
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190408_064820.jpg (357.7 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190408_065231.jpg (318.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181203_163636.jpg (951.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190410_073409.jpg (331.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 22nd July 2019, 03:10 AM   #49
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
even with horns Iím not sure they produce any kind of decent bass ?
Sufficient for the times, but back then, strong 'bass' was really just 'thumping' mid-bass, which a proper BLH can do well enough for the recordings of the day.

GM
Old 22nd July 2019, 05:54 AM   #50
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

My DX-2 with rolled whizzer in a Hedlund horn shows the peak (not that high) in near field mesurement, but is surprisingly flat at the listening position. I must say I like these speakers a lot, especially with SET amplifiers. I can listen to them as they are, but for best enjoyment, I supplement them with bass speaker/subwoofer.

Need advice, should I jump into Lowther league?Hide this!Advertise here!