Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Another FHXL Build
Another FHXL Build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2018, 11:33 PM   #111
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

Another FHXL Build
Appreciate the advice, as always, Dave! This is a relatively easy mod to make. I'm looking forward to a matched trio for the front array.
Old 28th January 2018, 12:35 AM   #112
diyAudio Member

Another FHXL Build
Five coats of tung oil finish later, here is my finished center. Turns out that one 4x8 sheet of veneer is enough to cover all three speakers in the front array, with just a bit left over for another small project.

I didn't spend the time to break this driver in like I did with my left and right channels, so I'll reserve any comments on sound until after another few weeks go by. For now, I've left the more dense felt in place until I can locate something that is softer. I also want to make some measurements before I go playing around with things...

Patience, patience...

Edit: Hmmm... looks like I have some reflection across the top of the speaker from something else in the room. The color is more even than it appear in the images.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CenterFront.JPG (318.2 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg CenterRear.JPG (278.1 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by Eric; 28th January 2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 28th January 2018, 12:39 AM   #113
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Another FHXL Build
Very nice… can you get a soldering iron in if you need to change the wires?

dave
Old 28th January 2018, 12:52 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

Another FHXL Build
Not sure if I'll have enough room to work with a soldering iron, but I'm sure I can get a pair of pliers in to loosen the nuts on the back of the binding post. Bottom line: yep, it's doable but will probably take a little while.
Old 28th January 2018, 12:54 AM   #115
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Another FHXL Build
Why we recommend terminals that come out from the outside. A cup or a homemade plate. We also like post swith less metal in them.

dave
Old 28th January 2018, 01:05 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

Another FHXL Build
Perhaps I haven't spent the time to look for a nice terminal cup, but ones I've used in the past have left me disappointed that I carved a big hole in my speakers. Thus, I switched to these and just drill a 1/8" hole. So far, they haven't presented a problem...
Old 28th January 2018, 01:13 AM   #117
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Another FHXL Build
We went hunting for and use the smallest terminal cup we could find… a 2” hole. If you don’t need the requirement that the posts are recessed (to minimize them being broken off) PE has these simple ones. Parts Express Gold Plated Banana 5-Way Speaker Wire Binding Post Terminal

dave
Old 28th January 2018, 06:59 AM   #118
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Another FHXL Build
Nice work Eric, the center speaker looks beautiful and a good match to your FH-XL fronts.
Old 28th January 2018, 04:42 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Another FHXL Build
I like that speaker input plate, Dave. Thanks for the link!

Zia: Thanks - it is a nice match. The original bubinga wood that I used for the left & right channels was 48-49" long, so the baffle for the center is the bottom that was cut from the left & right baffles, but-joined side by side as book-match, and then laminated to 3/4" bb ply. They sure look nice as three matching speakers, but the center stands out visually a bit more now as the previous speaker was black grill cloth across the entire front. My wife says, "Boy, that one sure stands out more than the last one..."

These three as the LCR array match one another in tonality much better than my previous Atlantic Tech LCR array. The previous ones were THX certified D'Appolito designs and the center always sounded just a bit funny to me (a bit too much lower mid range - so it sounds slightly bloated). The Alpair drivers are clearly more "open" (for lack of a better word) and make the sound appear to be originating somewhere in the middle of the room rather than directly from the boxes. Exchanging the center speaker especially is quite a stark difference, but it's also not broken in yet...

Another FHXL BuildHide this!Advertise here!