Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SAL Full Range Drivers
SAL Full Range Drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2016, 10:22 PM   #1
Frogeye is offline Frogeye  United States
diyAudio Member

Default SAL Full Range Drivers

-Editors note: These posts have been transferred from the BAF thread. The SAL full-range drivers are available here:
https://diyaudiostore.com/collection...peaker-drivers
End Editors note-

I believe Nelson said the company was SAL, for Scandinavian Audio Labs. They sounded great, or was it the amp that sounded great?

Last edited by Variac; 8th July 2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 17th November 2016, 11:33 PM   #2
Decker is offline Decker  United States
diyAudio Member

I heard them driven by Wrenchone's amp and the system sounded very good.
Old 18th November 2016, 03:22 AM   #3
wrenchone is offline wrenchone  United States
diyAudio Member

The amp wouldn't have sounded as nice without the especially nice speakers.
Having said that, it was a resistively loaded Class A amp, so as such it probably didn't have a phenomenal damping factor. It still sounded rather nice with the extra-special drivers in the not-so-special closed box, which might have tightened the bass up somewhat. For such small drivers, there was an impressive amount of bass for such a large room. I took pains to test it with a track that I use to check such things...

Thanks to Papa for his indulgence..
Old 6th March 2017, 04:56 AM   #4
Variac is offline Variac  Costa Rica
diyAudio Editor

SAL Full Range Drivers
Yes, the SAL drivers deserve to be heard. For this reason I'm planning to sell them through diyAudio. The details are being worked out and there should be a few available in about 3 weeks.

As more people order them, Frank from Scandinavian Audio Labs will ramp up production, but they are assembled by hand so don't lend themselves to fast production, and aren't cheap.

I'll keep you informed as to how it's going. They really are special, for one thing they actually have some Xmax, so bass even without any added bass driver. They are designed for open baffle use and I haven't heard that yet but it should be pretty impressive.

I think Nelson will post his discoveries regarding the driver when they are available. It would be cool if a library of designs became available to try once you have a pair of drivers

Update:
Drivers are available here:
https://diyaudiostore.com/collection...peaker-drivers

Last edited by Variac; 9th July 2017 at 01:40 AM.
Old 6th March 2017, 09:08 PM   #5
doggitz is offline doggitz
diyAudio Member

Default SAL Drivers

Thanks for keeping us updated on the drivers. If I remember correctly there has already been some discussion about enclosures, or do intend to make these available also
Old 6th March 2017, 09:24 PM   #6
Dennis Hui is offline Dennis Hui  Canada
diyAudio Member

SAL Full Range Drivers
Hi Variac,

Thanks for the update on the SAL drivers.
They'll probably be out of my price range but I really liked what I heard at BA2015.

Cheers,
Dennis
Old 8th March 2017, 09:20 PM   #7
jrubins is offline jrubins  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variac View Post
Yes, the SAL drivers deserve to be heard. For this reason I'm planning to sell them through diyAudio. The details are being worked out and there should be a few available in about 3 weeks.

As more people order them, Frank from Scandinavian Audio Labs will ramp up production, but they are assembled by hand so don't lend themselves to fast production, and aren't cheap.

I'll keep you informed as to how it's going. They really are special, for one thing they actually have some Xmax, so bass even without any added bass driver. They are designed for open baffle use and I haven't heard that yet but it should be pretty impressive.

I think Nelson will post his discoveries regarding the driver when they are available. It would be cool if a library of designs became available to try once you have a pair of drivers
I need a pair of these! Let me know when they are available
Old 10th June 2017, 12:38 PM   #8
jrubins is offline jrubins  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variac View Post
A couple of pairs are in the store:

Scandinavian Audio Labs SAL 08C08 (Pair) – diyAudio Store

Papa Pass should soon have some info on the simple boxes he has them in , and any filters he uses.
I think sealed .75 cu.ft. Cabs from Parts Express and will have an open baffle design at some point.

Probably should start a new thread I guess..
Damn! The timing sucks, I'm trying to buy a house this summer, so no spare money for audio awesomeness

Last edited by Variac; 9th July 2017 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11th June 2017, 04:17 PM   #9
needtubes is offline needtubes  United States
diyAudio Member

Same here...
Old 8th July 2017, 05:41 PM   #10
Variac is offline Variac  Costa Rica
diyAudio Editor

SAL Full Range Drivers
Default SAL Full Range Drivers

I've been answering questions about the Scandinavian Audio Labs driver (they only have one model ATM which simplifies things) on the Burning Amp thread, but I think it's time to spin it off into its own topic.

The reason it came up on that thread was that Nelson Pass had brought a pair to the last 2 Burning Amp Festivals, mounted in a simple smallish box, so a lot of people have heard them. The opinions are quite positive - including from Mr. Pass. I've heard them too and like them a lot. They have the coherence that full range drivers have along with an unusual amount of xmax so actually have some bass, and the upper frequencies aren't "shouty".

I wanted a pair, and they aren't distributed in the US so I decided we'd import them in the diyAudio store. Frank from SAL makes them by hand in Denmark and I feel good that we can support something that deserves more attention.

Last edited by Variac; 8th July 2017 at 06:17 PM.

SAL Full Range DriversHide this!Advertise here!