SAL Full Range Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Eminence Alpha 15” is often used in OBs, hard to tell if these are them (mine are on loan so i can’t check label colour), but from my experience they would be very hard pressed to keep up quality wise with the SAL… there are at least 2 better models.

dave

Laverda said that he was using eminence 15 but there was no mention to the model.
In europe i can find the 15A for 92€/pcs. I dont have any experience with eminence. For the price i feel that it would not be on pair with the SAL. But what do i know?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It is clear that laverda’s woofers are Eminence.

I have the 15A in MJK H-Frames (and just straight OBs before that). They are marginal in quality even when just doing the bass. Adding more will not help their shortcomings. Their only assets are that they are cheap (i paid $60 USD) and the high Q makes them easy to work with in an OB.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I would certainly think they are a considerable quality mismatch for something that looks to be as good as the SALs (i haven’t heard them, and have learned to be wary of other's accolades, having gotten highly touted drivers that turned out to be not all that good). But i have heard the 15As and have an opionon of them.

I’m not a big OB guy, the ones i have built or heard having a common deficiency which i find hard to describe — but many seem to love them. So i am not up on big OB woofer. I do have at least 1 more OB in me, i will be using custom 10” diy OB woofers. I was going to only use 4 but am thinking of using all 8, just how to figure them into the existing design sketch.

There are higher cost/spec Eminence, the above mentioned Pure Audio woofers (a direct response to the shortcomings of the 15A which their original designs used), the Acoustic Elegance woofers should be very good, and i expect more can be found. Some of these will need EQ (unlike the 15A), but that gives you more choices. Nice OB XOs like Nelson’s B5 (now available as a clone with his blessing) have the necessary EQ capabilities built-in.

dave

Hi laverda... Nice OB black finish. What drivers are you using and where can i find the wood plans for that?

The bass units are eminence beta 15a the only reason I went for these is that NP noted them in the B5 xover manual

''A popular woofer is the Eminence 15 inch beta – it has the right Qts (about 0.7), sounds good and is cheap. Some prefer a higher Qts for the woofer which gives some bass bump, but they aren't quite to my taste. Basically though, you should feel free to try anything you like''.

The design is my take, clone of others. Im in the process of drawing up the chassis/baffle which is also quite a simple square section. I'll post when done.

Last edited:
The bass units are eminence beta 15a the only reason I went for these is that NP noted them in the B5 xover manual

''A popular woofer is the Eminence 15 inch beta – it has the right Qts (about 0.7), sounds good and is cheap. Some prefer a higher Qts for the woofer which gives some bass bump, but they aren't quite to my taste. Basically though, you should feel free to try anything you like''.

The design is my take, clone of others. Im in the process of drawing up the chassis/baffle which is also quite a simple square section. I'll post when done.

I recognized the design from somewhere in the internet. I like the look of it. But the size is a problem. What is the height and width?

Last edited:
I recognized the design from somewhere in the internet. I like the look of it. But the size is a problem. What is the height and width?

They are a clone of the pureaudioproject OB and others. But these I have designed with materials I had to hand and favours owed. The fixings are M8 various lengths and some nut serts...they are big but adaptable, if you could only accomadate 1 bass unit and that could be 10" if suits better.

Attachments

• Open baffle-chassis.pdf
    28 KB · Views: 223
  • Open baffle-baffles.pdf
    23 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I would think those 3 small baffles would act as 1 big baffle.

I guess it’s the slots between them you are concerned about? Not sure that it matters, but I f so, just buy some foam door weatherstripping, which is adhesive on one side. It could be set back in the crack, attached to one baffle and pressing onto the panel next to it.

Project on hold..

Had an issue with one of my amps which sent signals to the driver voce coil to 'abandon ship'...

Thats the bad news, the good news is that the scandinavianaudiolabs have come to the rescue.

Superb product which sounds superb and as it turns out superb service.

Attachments

• IMG_1460.jpg
    IMG_1460.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 720
Had an issue with one of my amps which sent signals to the driver voce coil to 'abandon ship'...

So I rebuilt the amp :p with speaker protection and other mods as advised.

But to no-avail, two days on the bench testing and setting up, checked with a scope....all good..

2 hours use ...... 'BANG" flash, game over. :confused: Same again. But the the speaker protection circuit did its job :p Bonus,,

Attachments

• IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 607
  • DSC_0213.JPG
    DSC_0213.JPG
    856 KB · Views: 587
So I rebuilt the amp :p with speaker protection and other mods as advised.

But to no-avail, two days on the bench testing and setting up, checked with a scope....all good..

2 hours use ...... 'BANG" flash, game over. :confused: Same again. But the the speaker protection circuit did its job :p Bonus,,

Crap! At least now you know that the problem is likely not in the part you re-built... ;-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.