SAL Full Range Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dick Olsher reviews a pair and has a simple open baffle design using them:
Tip_85

"Let me make this perfectly clear: the SAL’s frequency response is not particularly uniform in the upper midrange and lower treble, it emphasizes certain frequency bands"

Unfortunately this could be less than great for my ears if it has any of that 'Fostex clarity' as my ears have proven overly fussy about treble peaks/cone resonances. Will be interesting to read about listening tests from others.

SAL in a Quarter Wave

Hi

Afters some evenings with Martin´s software I came up with a very promising result, which I will explore further.

Hi
Bjørn

Attachments

• SAL_SPL.png
    SAL_SPL.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,070
Joined 2009
Paid Member
And here is what I am listening to at the moment

20170819_204121_25.jpg

Frank lives in a walking distance from the Company I work for.
So I asked him if I could visit him and listen to his speakers when I was back in Denmark in early May
The result of the visit is that i have been playing with a set of SAL speakers for the last two months

This is fourth version i have tried

Source is a Schiit Yggdrasil with a JRiver 22 player

Volumen are S&B TV102Mk3 TVC's

The SAL is driven by the Sony VFET Diy Amps with a passive 160Hz first order cross over

The woofers are Eminence Deltalite II 2515 are driven by two stereo Aleph30 clones and the crossover is a Minidsp Balanced 2*4

The frames is PureAudioSound Trio15 Aluminium frames

And the sound is great.

Unfortunately I have to make everything ready for storage next saturday so i am enjoying the sound until then.

Flemming

And here is what I am listening to at the moment

View attachment 631005

Frank lives in a walking distance from the Company I work for.
So I asked him if I could visit him and listen to his speakers when I was back in Denmark in early May
The result of the visit is that i have been playing with a set of SAL speakers for the last two months

This is fourth version i have tried

Source is a Schiit Yggdrasil with a JRiver 22 player

Volumen are S&B TV102Mk3 TVC's

The SAL is driven by the Sony VFET Diy Amps with a passive 160Hz first order cross over

The woofers are Eminence Deltalite II 2515 are driven by two stereo Aleph30 clones and the crossover is a Minidsp Balanced 2*4

The frames is PureAudioSound Trio15 Aluminium frames

And the sound is great.

Unfortunately I have to make everything ready for storage next saturday so i am enjoying the sound until then.

Flemming

HI Flemming,

Thanks for the nice visit in Maj, I am so glad that you are happy with the drivers. I like your set up;).

Frank

SAL Drivers - how do they sound

I am lucky to live just a few minutes from Frank.

I spent a very interesting evening with Frank listening to the drivers. First of all, the OB Frank has build, with two subs - and amps of a high quality - deliver a detailled sound with a clean, deep bass. Pure sound with no colorisation.

The interesting part, and the whole purpose of traveling 10 minutes, was to listen to the SAL drivers alone and full range.

These drivers convinced me after just a few minutes. The sound is clear, detailled and has no sign of "hizz" or sharp s-sounds. They are just very natural in their sound. The sound stage is very good, the hight and depth of the image was amazing.

I already knew the frequency is not flat, might miss something in the low end, has some dips and peaks. None of these had any negative influence on the music. We could have gone on the rest of the night listening.

Of course the bass was not very deep and there will be some limitations in the SPL like any full range driver. In Frank´s setup the bass was better than i had expected. Clean and low enough for a broad variety of music. We did not stress test the drivers, they played loud enough. The SAL drivers are not meant to be "punch in the stomach" party speakers.

The SAL drivers is the best full range drivers i have listened to. There might be other drivers that are better - that I have not had the pleasure of listen to. I am talking about my own experience as an old "full ranger" :)

Listening to the SAL drivers is like trying a new car a bit more expensive than planned - afterwards you want it nevertheless.

It will be very interesting so see what these drivers can do in a quarter wave, the simulations I have done looks promising.

Hi
BJørn

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Here some pictures of my SAL implementation :D
I have built the baffles myself, had to buy a router (is this the correct name?) to make holes for the drivers. First time I ever worked with such a device, but it was fun:)
Lots of test pieces of wood used, to get the feeling.
The 15" drivers are Faitalpro 15PR400 woofers, which are not that expensive here in Europe.
Before this, I have listened to the FR's without the woofers, but I quickly decided that I needed more bass.
Now the speakers go low and loud enough, still working on the crossover, trial and error.
But, compared to my conventional 3way loudspeakers I'm still missing something in the higher regions, above 8-10Khz I guess.
Strange nobody has mentioned this before here... or is it that obvious with FR?
I think of adding a Super Tweeter crossed above 8KHz.
There are few threads here on DIYAudio which I'm reading now.
Probably a Fostex FT96H or T90A.
Any experiences with that? Tips and tricks?

Walter

Attachments

• IMG_20170901_130956ww.jpg
    IMG_20170901_130956ww.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_20170901_130923ww.jpg
    IMG_20170901_130923ww.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_20170901_130920ww.jpg
    IMG_20170901_130920ww.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_20170901_130837ww.jpg
    IMG_20170901_130837ww.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_20170901_130821ww.jpg
    IMG_20170901_130821ww.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 765
  • IMG_20170901_130744ww.jpg
    IMG_20170901_130744ww.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 765
  • IMG_20170901_130721ww.jpg
    IMG_20170901_130721ww.jpg
    695 KB · Views: 800
But, compared to my conventional 3way loudspeakers I'm still missing something in the higher regions, above 8-10Khz I guess.
Strange nobody has mentioned this before here...

That's a bit worrying, I was going to order the SAL in a few weeks when funds become available. Not sure now...Are you sure its not your xover?...I'm not knocking your efforts (which look very good by the way) but many say this driver is very good even as a stand alone unit?

BTW what size is the mounting whole for the SAL as I'm having some baffles machined/cut. TIA

Last edited:
Strange nobody has mentioned this before here... or is it that obvious with FR?
I think of adding a Super Tweeter crossed above 8KHz.
There are few threads here on DIYAudio which I'm reading now.
Probably a Fostex FT96H or T90A.
Any experiences with that? Tips and tricks?
Walter

Same here, I have used Alpair 10p, Fostex FD600 horn tweeter, local made Fullrange 8" and they all need additional tweeter / super tweeter.

for low efficiency driver like A10p, using car tweeter is the best option which I cross @10kHz.
For high efficiency driver then you have no choice other than super tweeter, I set T90a filter with 0.33uF. Using lower cut off (with 1 or 1.5uf ) might possible but you'll need additional Lpad.

Maybe you can add Raal in your option list, I have not tried it yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20170730_210023.jpg
    IMG_20170730_210023.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_20170619_211136.jpg
    IMG_20170619_211136.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 275
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
heres a diagram of the driver, with dimensions, from Frank

That's a bit worrying, I was going to order the SAL in a few weeks when funds become available. Not sure now...Are you sure its not your xover?...I'm not knocking your efforts (which look very good by the way) but many say this driver is very good even as a stand alone unit?

BTW what size is the mounting whole for the SAL as I'm having some baffles machined/cut. TIA

Attachments

• mech.pdf
    86.4 KB · Views: 143
Does anyone have data of acoustic measurements that he/she could share? A data file with an impulse or step response of the SAL driver would be great.

It looks there is no such data available. I asked Frank via EMail, and it seems he does not have any acoustic measurment data either :)eek:). I offered to take some measurements for him, but didn't hear back. Is anyone willing to borrow his driver(s) instead?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.