New 15" full range - FANE

Hi, what kind of bass are you getting from your open baffles and what size are they? I got some of the 15" but haven't got my baffles yet.

I have a small sub that goes up to 120hz so I'm not looking to go below 120hz for the open baffles, thanks.

Mine are 2 way. FR driven by tube unfiltered and roll off is around 120-140hz. Bass drivers currently 15” each side driven solid state @120-140hz.

Baffles are 30” x 50” with 8” side wings only on one side of the FR and both sides for bass. It’s experimental still after two years of playing as the possibilities of trying different FRs as well as Tube sound has spoiled me. My FRs are all 95dB plus including the Fanes. I love the 12” Fane and just wish it had wider HF dispersion. I have two pairs and one driver dust cap was partially pushed in by a kid so I am almost tempted to try a phase plug on it. The setup plays beautifully from 17k to 35 Hz and plays very loud if needed. I don’t like to have any other than dipole bass with dipole OB FR. I sold my M&K subs pair.

Mine are 2 way. FR driven by tube unfiltered and roll off is around 120-140hz. Bass drivers currently 15” each side driven solid state @120-140hz.

Baffles are 30” x 50” with 8” side wings only on one side of the FR and both sides for bass. It’s experimental still after two years of playing as the possibilities of trying different FRs as well as Tube sound has spoiled me. My FRs are all 95dB plus including the Fanes. I love the 12” Fane and just wish it had wider HF dispersion. I have two pairs and one driver dust cap was partially pushed in by a kid so I am almost tempted to try a phase plug on it. The setup plays beautifully from 17k to 35 Hz and plays very loud if needed. I don’t like to have any other than dipole bass with dipole OB FR. I sold my M&K subs pair.

Thank you for the info, that gives me a good starting point for experimentation, one more question, where do you have your FR driver situated on the baffle, thanks again.

My FR are 8" to 15" in size and the bass drivers are 15", one on each side. On a 30"x50" baffle, the 15" bass drivers are centered at 10.5" from the floor and the FR are centered at 39.5" from the floor. All FR get centered at 39.5" from the floor. The largest cut in the main baffles is 15" centered at 39.5" I retrofit different baffles for different drivers over the main baffle.

The main baffles are raised by over 1 inch from the floor using buffers. (Above measurement of centers from floor includes this 1 inch) Wings are 8" wide in the rear. I hope this helps.

My FR are 8" to 15" in size and the bass drivers are 15", one on each side. On a 30"x50" baffle, the 15" bass drivers are centered at 10.5" from the floor and the FR are centered at 39.5" from the floor. All FR get centered at 39.5" from the floor. The largest cut in the main baffles is 15" centered at 39.5" I retrofit different baffles for different drivers over the main baffle.

The main baffles are raised by over 1 inch from the floor using buffers. (Above measurement of centers from floor includes this 1 inch) Wings are 8" wide in the rear. I hope this helps.

Yes that helps a lot thank you, I like the changeable baffle for different driver experimentation.

Have a good new year, cheers, Jez.

I have listened to both the Fane 12 inch and 15 inch FR plus a 15 inch LF driver mounted on a single 24x40 inch baffle. I preferred the 15's but that is personal choice. The sound is big, effortless and brass instruments have the right tone and bite. You can't go wrong with either. There is a school of thought that baffles should be minimally larger than the driver so that is something to consider.

My drivers are placed symmetrically on the baffle with centres 12 inches from the top and bottom which leaves 3/4 of an inch between them. The baffle is on a 6 inch base and places the driver centres 19 and 34 inches off the floor.

Thank you also, I have a good idea where I'm going now with this, I can get two baffles with side wings out off two sheets of cheap MDF for experimentation, once finalised I'll go with some birch ply if I decide they're keepers.

Yes that helps a lot thank you, I like the changeable baffle for different driver experimentation.

Have a good new year, cheers, Jez.

Jez, just a small correction. The FR cut on the main baffle is customized for Fane 15" is 14" wide. All other baffles mount on a larger square baffle fitted from the rear of the main baffle and all are centre aligned. This gives me a same ear height seated position at centers of all FRs, whether 8" or 12" or 15". Imaging is incredible and soundstage could not be better. Fortunately all my 8" FRs (about 5 pairs) have at least 4 mount holes common so same retrofit baffle works for all. There is a gap between bass drivers and different FRs as I wanted bass drivers near the floor and FRs at ear height seated position. My next build will have two 15" bass drivers each side, tamed by miniDSP 2x4HD but FRs still playing unfiltered.

Don't be surprised if a $50 pair vintage FR when run unfiltered by tube on OB sounds incredible and puts pricey and branded boxed midrange to shame, in almost all aspects of sound reproduction. FR rolling is cheaper and more rewarding for me than tube rolling....

Yes, there are schools of thought on smaller or minimal FR baffle but my own experience is otherwise. Further I don't want a null in mid bass as I would like my FR to stretch till 120-140hz to reach down to the bass drivers.

The FR retrofitting on the main baffle in my experimental case looks somewhat similar to Japanese single driver OB build. I am not sure what this multiple baffle mounting of FR does to sound. I suspect from my experience, it takes imaging to another level with some FRs of great repute. Check this out:

プレーン・バッフル : オーディオ大好きおやじの日記

You too Have a Great New 2019 !

Regards,
Sam.

Jez, just a small correction. The FR cut on the main baffle is customized for Fane 15" is 14" wide. All other baffles mount on a larger square baffle fitted from the rear of the main baffle and all are centre aligned. This gives me a same ear height seated position at centers of all FRs, whether 8" or 12" or 15". Imaging is incredible and soundstage could not be better. Fortunately all my 8" FRs (about 5 pairs) have at least 4 mount holes common so same retrofit baffle works for all. There is a gap between bass drivers and different FRs as I wanted bass drivers near the floor and FRs at ear height seated position. My next build will have two 15" bass drivers each side, tamed by miniDSP 2x4HD but FRs still playing unfiltered.

Don't be surprised if a $50 pair vintage FR when run unfiltered by tube on OB sounds incredible and puts pricey and branded boxed midrange to shame, in almost all aspects of sound reproduction. FR rolling is cheaper and more rewarding for me than tube rolling....

Yes, there are schools of thought on smaller or minimal FR baffle but my own experience is otherwise. Further I don't want a null in mid bass as I would like my FR to stretch till 120-140hz to reach down to the bass drivers.

The FR retrofitting on the main baffle in my experimental case looks somewhat similar to Japanese single driver OB build. I am not sure what this multiple baffle mounting of FR does to sound. I suspect from my experience, it takes imaging to another level with some FRs of great repute. Check this out:

プレーン・バッフル : オーディオ大好きおやじの日記

You too Have a Great New 2019 !

Regards,
Sam.

Thank you again for the extra info :up:

coating

Hello

I like experimentating even if I don't really know what I am doing..

After reading some articles about whizzer coating, why not give it a try?

Don't have varnish on hand so I used this glue:

Tolex Kleber SG5, 500 ml - Tube-Town GmbH

It is a soft glue, it probably does not stiffen but dampen.

one layer on each whizzer, two layers on the dust cap.

Measure on axis mic at about 40cm.

As expected, sound presentation is different, less "sparkle" but not "dull".
More "relaxed", it sounds now a little bit more like a multiway speaker.

Take a look at the FR from 300Hz, it does not tell the story but that's interesting.

Attachments

• FR0.jpg
    FR0.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 772
  • imp.jpg
    imp.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 752
  • step.jpg
    step.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 754
  • spectral.jpg
    spectral.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 756
As expected, sound presentation is different, less "sparkle" but not "dull".
More "relaxed", it sounds now a little bit more like a multiway speaker.

Take a look at the FR from 300Hz, it does not tell the story but that's interesting.

Your experiences match mine, more or less. But that measured reponse? From only just a bit of glue? I do not believe it, it is ruler flat from ca 2400hz to ca 12khz. Are you using DIRAC? Off axis response would suffer greatly, with an on axis graph like this.

The mic was placed at 40cm in front of the speaker but as I don't have a tripod, it was set on a box (to be at the right height). I'll take a picture and do measures again.

Yes, measured response, no EQ at all. Only glue. Hard to believe, I admit. As said, I'll redo some measures later.

Attached another FR, mic about 30° off axis, 40 cm distance too.
Forgot to post it yesterday.

Attachments

• FR30.jpg
    FR30.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 700
  • imp30.jpg
    imp30.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 151
  • spectral30.jpg
    spectral30.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 107
  • step30.jpg
    step30.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 104
... I do not think it looks any better, the peaks and dips have shifted a bit, but the response is maybe a tiny bit less smooth, too much glue perhaps? The 1800-2000hz shelf/peak behaviour has shifted to maybe 1500hz and seems steeper/harder to deal with, you've lost some top end also, I suspect it drops like a rock off axis, do you have any more measurements?
It looks more pretty since you have 10db/div, for instance there is a ca 8db difference between around 1300hz to around 1500hz.