New 15" full range - FANE

No need to for me, other than the -6db shelf, after the 8khz q5.2 notch it goes up 3db at 10khz and another 3db by 16khz. Would probably be better to make it a q6 notch and have another q8 at 10khz, but I like trying to get away with less, feels like more of a challenge. And it does sound quite good, it is the "hard" peaks and dips that are most noticeable, having dealt with rising response, the two notches make quite the difference.

Edit:
Will try and play with it, but uncertain if I will be able to detect any actual difference, my bat ears have retired.

Last edited:
I'm so tempted by the minimalist approach. I got close with my Jordan Eikona VTLs, but found I prefered the sound of OB, then, of course minimalism isn't so easy. Bass is the issue. If I wasn't happy with my set-up now, I'd be very interested in these speakers.....still am

I was ready to give up on Full Range based on my experience with small speakers. But try a 15" in a large cab and you will rediscover what it was that made you interested in DIY :)

Since building my Big'un 15" Boffle speaker I've not felt the need to build any more.

Today I bought a pair of Fane SOV 15-400LF bass drivers to go with the Fane 15 inch fullrangers. Just finished hooking it all up and I'm in audio heaven. Using an analog parametric on the fullranger anda minidsp on the bass driver. Still have to dial it all in but this is the sound I've had in my head for years.

I was on the Highway to further advancements in Multi-way setups.
Cost/performance convinced me to give it a go. There is no going back now.

At the risk of repeating myself:
Big "FR" units have a certain presence, a sense of impact, even on lower volumes, that is just not there with the "small toys", as perhaps Bigun here would phrase it.

Thanks guys.

I was looking into the Olson Corner horn for this driver, back-engineered it from plans and frequency response I found, but noticed it doesn't fit my room. It simulatea nice though, so I'm working on a new folding scheme. Think very small BiB or folded TQWT with about 40 Hz response on its own. Down way lower (below 20 Hz with known room gain of my living room. I have hard time believing it, so I must recheck the whole design. If it's plausible, I'll share it here.

Stop it you lot! Haha. The Jordans aren't your average small "fullrange" Also I'm pretty committed to OB.....and like Bigun, I don't feel I need to build more speakers............no.....I don't.
Minimalism still rules.....but in the real world, OB wise, it has to be WAW....the only alternative I see would be freaking huge baffles and then I could kiss bye-bye to my beautiful reflections.

I was intrigued by Open baffle speakers and after many iterations with many full range drivers, I finally settled with Fane 12" and adding 15" bass drivers, made everything more exciting including a tinge of midrange warmth. It gets staggeringly loud with non-existent distortion. There is no equalization, as I wanted to keep everything as simple as possible to have an honest sonic signature of the tubes and the drivers combo. Everything should be presented, good and bad. Fortunately, the bass is adequate and with some tracks more than adequate. Its an ugly and anti-WAF setup but great learning experiment and Fane 12" happen to be the "Heart n Soul" of the whole setup. Its ONLY Fanes 12" that make this simple 2 way setup do everything just great from 17K down to 40 Hz of enjoyable music. The baffles are kind of huge at 30"X50" and Fanes are placed at a higher distance than should be as I intended to add another pair of 15" in between but am kinda reluctant as neighbors gently objected a few times already. I think replacing Fane 12" by 15" is too tempting and will fill up the baffle space. Still I am awaiting some comparisons by fellow FM.

Some pictures here: (My rack is DIY with adjustable heights, the baffles are screwed on to a very sturdy wooden frame in the rear). I think its now pretty hard for me to go back to smaller FRDs even if they may be better. Larger FRD, Fane 15" ? Yes, I am most tempted.

IMG_0884_zpscmcjcwf0.jpg

IMG_0885_zpserlu132q.jpg

Not to sidetrack this thread, but has anyone tried these in an omnidirectional setup?

Through a series of events I ended up with my eminence beta 12lta's in a horizontal/Omni setup and then placed a dome tweeter vertical over the pole piece. Think Siegfried Linkwitz Pluto speaker with a 12" full range and tweeter. It seems to work well with the rising frequency response. Nice big and open sound and pleasant highs. Adjust tweeter to taste.

Thought it was worth sharing.

No. :D
You should listen to either the 12 or the 15 inch Fane FR/WB.
(Before you decide to stop building speakers).

I would rather say: And after you get them, then you can stop building speakers.

Nice setup Yogi. :)
That material looks familiar, the name of the wood is stuck in my head, is it 22mm boards or 27mm? 3 layer? Or am I completely "out in the fields" here?

Keep us posted Jazzfan!
Why did you decide on the 15-400LF? just better values for OB?

Last edited:
I would rather say: And after you get them, then you can stop building speakers.

Nice setup Yogi. :)
That material looks familiar, the name of the wood is stuck in my head, is it 22mm boards or 27mm? 3 layer? Or am I completely "out in the fields" here?

Keep us posted Jazzfan!
Why did you decide on the 15-400LF? just better values for OB?

Well said !

Nope, its commercial 18mm ply but held together by a sturdy frame made out of 2"X2" wooden planks. The idea of FRD sharing the same baffle with the bass driver was AGAINST my beliefs however I was surprised to see that no vibrations get to the FRD and muddle the midrange.

The front baffle can be slit to make it easier to change baffles and play with different drivers. The metal brackets at the back are permanently screwed to the wooden planks but the baffle is held by nuts and bolts for change in baffle/driver configuration. Its just an experimental / learning setup, so I was frugal in my approach. My final, someday (hopefully) would be a visual treat as well.

The pictures of even uglier back are here:

IMG_0889_zpszt6coicg.jpg

IMG_0890_zpslo7jgpju.jpg

The wooden frame was done as they do with furnitures...chairs...

Last edited: