Custom DIY 8" Fullrange Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, that's not why you want the whizzer big. The whizzer does radiate hights but - like a large dome- or cone-tweeter, the narrower it goes on the top end. And on the lower end of the whizzer, you usually want to 'start' where the cone starts to drop off. Or, to be more precise, where the breakup starts. Since you can correct the response passive but cannot correct the radiation pattern (not even with a DSP), naturally, the radiation pattern is what dictates the size of the whizzer.

Cone breakup makes me want to use a thinner paper for the whizzer cone.

But still just ran a DCR measurement... its 8.7ohms:eek::eek::eek:

So 0.14mm VC wire is not suitable, probably had to use 0.15mm

Just got back, did some test measurements on the TS parameters. And I discovered I had used the wrong wire gauge, and the Re values is abit too off.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But anyway the drivers are measured, since they are just prototype I will have to keep in mind using the correct gauge for the VC during the next round of fabrication.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I must say, it is very difficult to measure small gauge wires DCR. The thin ends contacts makes it very difficult to crimp with crocs clips and I always end up values that are not constant :(

This is the measurement I got from WT3

* Piston Diameter = 160.0 mm
* f(s)= 63.93 Hz
* R(e)= 8.86 Ohms
* Z(max)= 392.40 Ohms
* Q(ms)= 12.015
* Q(es)= 0.277
* Q(ts)= 0.271
* V(as)= 31.150 liters (1.100 cubic feet)
* L(e)= 1.16 mH
* n(0)= 2.80 %
* SPL= 96.57 1W/1m
* M(ms)= 11.30 grams
* C(ms)= 0.55 mm/N
* BL= 12.05

Last edited:
Last edited:
superb driver

well done, i would try it in my saxophon or RDH20, with invers driver, for show and sound,
you fill ~6 dB up to 2 kHz, bass down 30 Hz and minimal lenar membran moving, plan for free if you will test it.

Attachments

• RDH20 TB1772 monacorSPH-210 web.jpg
    RDH20 TB1772 monacorSPH-210 web.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 264
  • oskarr1web.jpg
    oskarr1web.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 276
well done, i would try it in my saxophon or RDH20, with invers driver, for show and sound,
you fill ~6 dB up to 2 kHz, bass down 30 Hz and minimal lenar membran moving, plan for free if you will test it.

Nice, might message you when I complete my another 8 inch fullrange whih I am building from scratch. :D

This round I designing the motor with the pole piece separated so I could do a copper plating to act as a Faraday's ring

Sorry to hear your full range was not more appreciated.
The review from the KLIAV show report seemed quite complementary:
"fantastic purity, transparency and great tone, which brought out vocal tracks really well"

I think full range loudspeakers are an acquired taste - after trying everything else.
I've always been a dipole fan and have had several varieties of Magnapan, Acoustat and Martin Logan.
I recently heard a full range speaker in an open baffle.
Dipole sound but with dynamics too!
I am thinking about trying a full range in an open baffle perhaps with a SLOB or RIPOL for bass.
I have a buddy with CNC shop who said he would be glad to make something for me and your work is making me dream of building a driver of my own

Thank you for the inspiration!

Sorry to hear your full range was not more appreciated.
The review from the KLIAV show report seemed quite complementary:
"fantastic purity, transparency and great tone, which brought out vocal tracks really well"

I think full range loudspeakers are an acquired taste - after trying everything else.
I've always been a dipole fan and have had several varieties of Magnapan, Acoustat and Martin Logan.
I recently heard a full range speaker in an open baffle.
Dipole sound but with dynamics too!
I am thinking about trying a full range in an open baffle perhaps with a SLOB or RIPOL for bass.
I have a buddy with CNC shop who said he would be glad to make something for me and your work is making me dream of building a driver of my own

Thank you for the inspiration!

No problem :)

I overheard a few comments during the show, most listen want the boom and bang. It is almost having a Home Theater setup.

I mean my fullrange can go lowest 55 to 60hz F3, but too much bass mess up the vocal listening.... LOL

I had a friend who willing to try my fullrange in a open baffle with front horn loaded design. Need to find out more what he has in mind.

No problem :)

I overheard a few comments during the show, most listen want the boom and bang. It is almost having a Home Theater setup.

I mean my fullrange can go lowest 55 to 60hz F3, but too much bass mess up the vocal listening.... LOL

I had a friend who willing to try my fullrange in a open baffle with front horn loaded design. Need to find out more what he has in mind.
I would be interested to hear both what he does and what he thinks of the results mate.

Last week I went to the California Audio Show in Oakland, CA specifically to hear the PAP stuff. I listened to the Trio with a Voxativ driven by a Whammerdyne 4 Watt amplifier which was loud and dynamic enough. The trio sounded really good but it is hard to really hear a speaker at a show. From what I heard the voxativ is an amazing driver - as good as most people have said.

I also listened to the PAP Quintet with the PAP wooden horn driver driven by an Exogal power DAC. I did not particularly care for the horn setup which did not seem to integrate with the woofers as well as the Voxativ. It also might have been the amp since Class D Solid state versus SE tubes is about as polar opposite as you can get and I prefer the SE sound. Other than the integration issues the Quintet was great with speed, weight, solidity, definition and a huge image (height and width). IMHO, both the trio and Quintet were set up a little too close the the back wall - about 60 cm and so image depth suffered a bit. I would have liked to hear it a bit further out into the room with some room to breath. One of the problems of hotel rooms at shows..

Ze'ev is a great guy and I think his open baffles are a really good concept. He sells as a DIY knocked down kit making them much easier to ship. If your friend has not purchased his woofers yet he should look at the PAP 15" woofers (PAP sells them separately). A custom design based on an Eminence neo line with a Qt of 0.72 and 94.6 dB@ 1W/1m. While not a cheap driver they seem very reasonable for what you are getting. Based on what I heard they work very well in an OB design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.