Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Full range + Subwoofer setup.  Criticism needed
Full range + Subwoofer setup.  Criticism needed
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2020, 11:18 PM   #31
MITsound is offline MITsound  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Full of it

I've got quite a few back up drivers left from old projects I've built and sold over thirty odd years, but happily, never had to replace a failed one.
I'm going to attempt a box speaker satellite pair for myself, two way satellites with a twist.
I have no urge to buy more drivers, but will try to make a punchy system using a MarkAudio 12P,
and on each side of the cabinet, a single MarkAudio 12PW, to handle midbass.
I'll be starting with an active crossover, and my amps will handle 4 or 8 ohm loads without complaint. Will the midbass blend properly with the 12P , if crossing at 200-300 hertz?
Each twin 12PW pair would only go down to 80 hertz, me trying to limit Doppler distoryion in the frequencies I'm most sensitive to it. I did build three or four different 12PW projects, but I guess my hearing may be shot. I prefer the 12P upper range.
Lower bass will continue to be handled by two stereo box subs, one sealed, one ported, same internal displacement. Ported one goes flat with near corner loading to 22 hertz, the sealed to 40 hertz, very near flat.
Got the idea from a friend showing me a picture of a Carver monopolar planar tweeter in a tiny satellite, in front of and between two small woofers, maybe 5" or so.
Oh, my guess is about 2ft3 cabinets, for all three drivers, no port tuning contemplated at this time.
Workable or no?
I realize I'll most likely be adding zobels or even series crossover components, but hopefully nothing in series. Relative playback levels between drivers may be handled by my active crossovers.
Will be out of the hospital in less than a week, so hoping for some opinions, or maybe rethink before starting. I'm currently accustomed to open baffles, about 5'3" by 24", two way horn hybridsassisted by stereo subs. Naturally, I want somethings a little smaller. Currently have quite a few choices, but only 2 types of box speakers or satellites.
Thanks in advance.

Full range + Subwoofer setup.  Criticism neededHide this!Advertise here!