Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Full range + Subwoofer setup.  Criticism needed
Full range + Subwoofer setup.  Criticism needed
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2017, 09:41 PM   #11
kyle321 is offline kyle321  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
I think you should use an active xover like I suggested in your other thread
I actually have that component written down -Totally considering it!
Old 11th May 2017, 09:43 PM   #12
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

You can buy it as a kit, or ready made, or pcb only, you could probably get something very similar closer to home, he is in the UK
Old 11th May 2017, 09:58 PM   #13
HumbleDeer is offline HumbleDeer  Belgium
diyAudio Member

The image you showed me of the resistor network is exactly what I mean. 2x30Watts will be fine as long as you don't crank it to literally 100%. That'll sound horrid anyway and 30 watts for a portable thing is a surprising amount of hearing damage.
Old 11th May 2017, 10:54 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Have you decided what kind of enclosure to use for the sub? What kind of bass do you want, if you know what I mean?
Old 12th May 2017, 12:39 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Have you decided what kind of enclosure to use for the sub? What kind of bass do you want, if you know what I mean?
I'd like to bass to be 'decent', but, definitely not overpowering. I plan for the full ranges to be in a sealed space. But, i'm still deciding weather or not I want to port the sub or not. -open to suggestions though-
What do you think about sealed vs. ported?

I'd like for this piece to be a good sounding 'centerpiece' of a living room about 18x20 ft. in size.
Old 12th May 2017, 03:28 AM   #16
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

In you look at the parts-express page, They mention that f3 is at 136Hz, so that original 100Hz XO would not work well.

I also second Chris idea of doubling the woofers, one for each side. That will result in a much better sound than a single one.

A couple of extra suggestions, take them or leave them.

Consider adding a real sub hidden towards a corner of the room. Even a smallish 8" will give you a feel of lower bass, but will certainly not be overpowering or slamming. There's a lot of LF information that we never get to hear when people only use smallish bookshelf, and the likes, speakers.

Also, if you can place the drivers away from the back wall a bit, like at least 2 or 3 feet, give yourself a listening session with drivers mounted on an open baffle.

That is, if you're completely married to the idea of the table thing.

Easy to do, when you get the drivers, just mount them on a piece of plywood and use a couple of chairs to hold it. Then have a listen. OB is a different experience, with the sound irradiating, not just projected from a box.

One should at least try OB once in a life, to see/hear if we like it or not.
Old 12th May 2017, 04:44 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
One should at least try OB once in a life, to see/hear if we like it or not.
Though I must stick with the one-unit concept at the moment, the open baffle is interesting. Can that be done with a sub?
Old 12th May 2017, 05:03 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
In you look at the parts-express page, They mention that f3 is at 136Hz, so that original 100Hz XO would not work well
I didn't notice that, thanks... Do you think that venting the box might be better? It says the vented box would be f3 67 Hz. I'm still open to possibly venting it.
Old 12th May 2017, 05:12 AM   #19
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Both design, OB or your sealed table, would benefit from a sub.

No need to do vented on the full range. You might want to do that with the woofer(s).
P-E suggest sealed at 89Hz, and Vented at 54Hz.

If you do plan to add a small sub, then make it easy and go for sealed woofers in your table.

Your mind seems to go all over the place, and not focused.
I suggest you step back a bit, take a breather, and look at the concept again. Play with the parts, draw on paper, or computer, and follow your train of thoughts.

Once it is planned, clear and settled in your mind, it will be a lot easier.
Old 12th May 2017, 08:49 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle321 View Post
I'd like to bass to be 'decent', but, definitely not overpowering. I plan for the full ranges to be in a sealed space. But, i'm still deciding weather or not I want to port the sub or not. -open to suggestions though-
What do you think about sealed vs. ported?
Hi, looks like you've discovered the main differences between ported and sealed. Another option is transmission line (TL), this can give you very smooth, clean, deep bass. It requires more work on the cabinet though

Quote:
I'd like for this piece to be a good sounding 'centerpiece' of a living room about 18x20 ft. in size.
A three foot wide box will not give you any stereo imagine in a room that size unless you are sitting approximately three feet from it, but you knew that already

Full range + Subwoofer setup.  Criticism neededHide this!Advertise here!