First full range build - Fostex ff165wk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All, so I finally managed to finish the project!!

Yes I know it tool way too long but I got caught up with work related things during late last year but managed to finish the enclosures just before Xmas! I moved to a new room as well which made progress slow.

I had major problems with staining the birch ply with the fact that:

1. It didn't absorb the stain well depending on the type of stain used

2. I couldn't get consistancy.

But through many trail and errors, I finally got the look I wanted. It's still not perfect as there is a slight difference in shade but its completely acceptable by me!

Here are the pictures:D:D:D:
Work Times: London Full Range ML-TL MA A10.3M - Google Photos

Here is also a link of the LM3886 I built as well: Work Times: London LM3886 - Google Photos

Regarding how it sounds I am not really an expert on high end audio listening but I am absolutely in love with it :D:D.

Finally I would like to thank all of you here for your support. Honestly I couldn't have done it without you guys.

Peace!

So it's been a couple of months and I'm still in love with these. My DIY instincts are now starting to come back again and I am pumped to build another project.

Especially since Bobs MLTL was my first build and I invested in a lot of tools to build it, now they are just sitting around, so I thought I might as well make us of them.

But I don't want to overly spend on this hobby and storage space is limited with London's not so cheap rents, I was thinking of selling the enclosures along with the drivers first and then proceed on to the next project.

Thoughts and opinions?

Well sadat, if the DIY bug bites, then it's hard to resist... you keep on dreaming about new projects. :)

When it comes to music, where do you feel that the current system you have is not doing it for you?

And for the new project, you would like to try out something similar - as in a single wide-band driver in a floor standing enclosure or something different?

Last edited:
hi there,

Yes mate, the dreams are still alive!

I am actually thrilled with this current build but as I mentioned I don't want to overspend by going on a building spree. I only need one system for listening to my music needs so before I build a new one I would like to sell off my current pair as this would:

a) help finance my next project
b) clear up some space for new speakers as I currently have a single bed room in london so space comes at a cost quite literally
c) give me a chance to break out my tools again out of the storage closet and give me the chance to build

Any suggestions of where to post in this forum and pricing suggestions are appreciated.
Here are some pictures for reference: Shared album - Annafee Azad - Google Photos

As for the new project you my friend have asked a very important question to which the answer is: I have no freaking idea. I was thinking of doing a full range build again with different driver/enclosures. Could also try bookshelf as well?

Here are some pictures for reference: Shared album - Annafee Azad - Google Photos

Very nice build there! :)

I am actually thrilled with this current build but as I mentioned I don't want to overspend by going on a building spree. I only need one system for listening to my music needs so before I build a new one I would like to sell off my current pair as this would:

a) help finance my next project
b) clear up some space for new speakers as I currently have a single bed room in london so space comes at a cost quite literally
c) give me a chance to break out my tools again out of the storage closet and give me the chance to build

Any suggestions of where to post in this forum and pricing suggestions are appreciated.

If you want to post for selling your speakers on diyAudio, the right place is the "Swap Meet" section.

I have no idea on the pricing - you can ask an amount that you feel is fair value for the drivers and your construction cost+efforts. You can also state that you are open to offers and ask interested parties to send you a PM (private message) with their offer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.