Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

First full range build - Fostex ff165wk
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2017, 10:45 AM   #11
sadat is offline sadat  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

dave,

alright makes perfect sense now. I assume you were referring to this enclosure? But if the dallas II performs more admirably (which considering it's popularity should be true) then I'll stick to that if I choose the 206en's over the 165's.

giantstairs,

Of-course. Thanks for recommending those tube amps. Yes I was looking at KJFAudio yesterday and that is where I saw the prices of the A10.3. I'll try to get in touch with this member and see what I can do.

Meanwhile anyone know retailers for the FF165wk's in the UK? Apart from wilmslow-audio where it's £230/pair+ shipping and in ebay uk its £200/pair with shipping (don't know whether to trust it though). Most of the other retailers that I know don't seem to offer them.
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:13 PM   #12
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Hi Sadat,

Hello from Dhaka!

A few points - I've heard the FE206en in a Fostex BLH for the 208E Sigma (big, cabinet has many pieces, needs a lot of plywood) - IMHO not an ideal speaker for metal/rock music.

I've also heard Mark Audio Alpair 10.2 and 10.3 - works well with the usual full-range fare (girl and guitar, jazz, vocal music), also enjoyable with lot of electronic music and pop at moderate listening volumes. Again not ideal for heavier metal genres, but probably better performing than the Fostex. There's a new driver from Mark Audio called the Pluvia 11 and that might be an option worth exploring too.

I've used an LM3886 amp (Tomchr's Modulus-86) with the Alpair's and it was a good match.
Old 2nd May 2017, 03:20 PM   #13
Wiggle8 is offline Wiggle8  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
sadat,

Not to sound discouraging and no offence to the wide-band driver aficionados, in my experience metal music doesn't sound very good on FR speakers, but YMMV. And I've had no experience with the FF165WK driver.

Good luck with your build.
Agreed, I've been doing FR builds recently but multi-way seems more well-suited to this type of music. A FAST can sound quite good with it though by alleviating the FR driver of heavy bass responsibility.
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:30 PM   #14
CER2906 is offline CER2906  England
diyAudio Member

Just a suggestion, but this thread might be worth a look:

TABAQ TL for Tang Band

I have just completed building these simple tabaq speakers and think they produce fantastic clean bass, using a small full range driver. I have used 3 inch Visaton FR8's in my build but there are plenty of (better) options and 4 inch drivers can be used as well.

Cheers!
Old 3rd May 2017, 04:29 PM   #15
giantstairs is offline giantstairs  Spain
diyAudio Member

Sadat, ygpm
Old 3rd May 2017, 10:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CER2906 View Post
Just a suggestion, but this thread might be worth a look:

TABAQ TL for Tang Band
Thanks for the reference. Looks like a popular design; 170+ page thread! I'll look into it. Though I'm after a ~6 - 8" driver speaker so I'll search in the thread designs for larger drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggle8 View Post
Agreed, I've been doing FR builds recently but multi-way seems more well-suited to this type of music. A FAST can sound quite good with it though by alleviating the FR driver of heavy bass responsibility.
This site has more acronyms than UK's railway! I did look into a full range and sub combo, this was the first idea I had but still the full range route seems more attractive to me. Plus if I really feel the need for bass I'll add extra sub later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantstairs View Post
Sadat, ygpm
Replied. Check pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Hi Sadat,
Hello from Dhaka!

I've also heard Mark Audio Alpair 10.2 and 10.3 - works well with the usual full-range fare (girl and guitar, jazz, vocal music), also enjoyable with lot of electronic music and pop at moderate listening volumes. Again not ideal for heavier metal genres, but probably better performing than the Fostex. There's a new driver from Mark Audio called the Pluvia 11 and that might be an option worth exploring too.

I've used an LM3886 amp (Tomchr's Modulus-86) with the Alpair's and it was a good match.
I'm flying to Dhaka this summer for vacation. Looking forward to go home.

I'm now also considering the MA 10.3 and Pluvia 11. If anyone near the UK is up for selling a used pair, feel free to PM me.

Regarding the build folks,

Previously looking at the pictures of the Frugel-Horn XL, I thought it was huge, like 8ft! Turns out its not the case. Upon seeing the size and design, this looks doable with my basic skills. So I'm thinking of selecting the enclosure first and then the matching driver for it. Main criteria: 6-8" driver size.

Just to reiterate, I'm a very simple listener, mostly using my phone and apple ear-pods to listen music on spotify and I find this sound quite satisfactory, no I find this sound excellent to my needs. The bass seems well defined to me and I usually listen at avg volume, 50% max with flat EQ. But I enjoy building stuff and hence the build. So the goal is to bring this sound though the Lm3886 and this speaker project, which seems like an achievable bar to clear!
Old 4th May 2017, 09:04 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

So after doing some digging it does indeed seem that the Alpair 10.3 or Pluvia 11 might be indeed better suitable for me. Hence a huge thanks to all the members for your suggestions and awesome guidance. Still haven't completely scratched the Fostex but it's gonna take the back seat for a while.

I briefly went through the TABAQ forum and CER2906 thank you so much for this thread. The construction seems so simple and would be ideal for me. Definitely going after this now unless there are other designs that I should know about, which are as simple as this and does such a great job! There is actually a larger version of the TABAQ for the MA A10.3. There is even a video on YouTube of it as well: TABAQ A10.3. I know the sound shouldn't be judged from listening through Youtube but it seems great if I may say so. Definitely tempted on making this now.

Eager to know your thoughts on this design for the A10.3. Also any ideas where I could get a used pair of these as they don't come cheap!

Sadat
Old 4th May 2017, 09:56 PM   #18
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Lots of excellent designs around for the Alpairs and Pluvias - from Scott Lindgren's Pensils and FHXL, to Bob Brines' M10A10 - which I've heard, to the TABAQ, which I've not.

To repeat what I've said many times, if the whole world of FR / single driver systems is new to you, it's easy for the combination of analysis paralysis and sticker shock to keep you from making that first (mis) step.

It could be well worth the phone-call and perhaps shoe-leather / petrol to contact someone line Stefan at www.kjfaudio.com and see if he can find a system near enough for your travel convenience to audition first. But be careful, once you stumble down that rabbit hole, it can take a while to find your way out. For some of us, over a decade and half later, we still feel the gravitational pull.

yes, I know - mixed metaphors.
Old 5th May 2017, 12:42 AM   #19
theaudiopath is offline theaudiopath  Australia
diyAudio Member

Contrary to common misconceptions metal at it's finest is as demanding of the loudspeaker system as full symphony orchestral music. Your emphasis is on the bass if I read you correctly sadat. Your experience with fullrange limited. Your listening environment small and almost square. My suggestions are none of the above. A pair of Seas FA22RCZ 8 inch fullrange drivers. These use a very simple correction network designed by Seas & can work well in a sealed cabinet 50 to 60 litres. Then get some bass traps behind your speakers ASAP.
Old 5th May 2017, 11:27 AM   #20
CER2906 is offline CER2906  England
diyAudio Member

Sadat,

Glad to hear you took a look at the Tabaq TL thread, it's quite a read but we'll worth it!

For such a simple design and low cost it was a "no brainer" for my first attempt at building speakers.

I'm a total newbie to all this but I'm still amazed at the all round sound these speakers produce. Bass is certainly not lacking either!

Try the "standard" Tabaq build and see where that leads?

Sorry, shameless Tabaq fanboy rambling over!

Regards

Chris

First full range build - Fostex ff165wkHide this!Advertise here!