?Frugel Horn Mk3 build with Tang Bands anyone with experience on this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which TangBand driver? Of the two I've recently heard, I have quite different opinions.

Note that with a rear mouth design such as any of the Frugels, in room measurements would be even more room dependent than a forward firing monopole design, such as a Pensil, TABAQ or any of the MLTL variants that seem to be currently in vogue.

Re the 1611 - yes, it's a very tight fit. We have no acoustic measurements, but as for an overall opinion on sound - they deliver very good bass in the FH3, but I personally found them quite dark in the top end. I vastly prefer the A7.3 in this enclosure.

Or on top? The default driver placement is high enough on the front baffle that something akin to the shape of the HiVi tear-drop pod could work quite nicely.

Also note that not just the width of the 1611's frame, but the depth of magnet requires a "supra-baffle" to just barely clear the internal divider and recommended damping felt.

something like this, perhaps - sized for larger FR drivers such as Alpair 10 and Fostex FE166 / FF165 WK - i.e. might not need a supra baffle for other than aesthetic reasons - which of course can be a nice touch

Silbury-3D.gif
/

Last edited:
Blimey, that's tight. Nice job though. :)

One other point; there are two models of 1611. There's the original 1611SAF, with a relatively compact neo. motor structure; that seems to have been discontinued a few years back when rare-earth prices rocketed, and the 1611SAF was introduced using a much larger ferrite magnet structure. This will reduce internal clearance and disrupt airflow significantly more.

TB W5-1611SA, neo magnet

Blimey, that's tight. Nice job though. :)

One other point; there are two models of 1611. There's the original 1611SAF, with a relatively compact neo. motor structure; that seems to have been discontinued a few years back when rare-earth prices rocketed, and the 1611SAF was introduced using a much larger ferrite magnet structure. This will reduce internal clearance and disrupt airflow significantly more.

Hi there: confirmed W5-1611SA was the model number of the pair I have with the neo magnets and heat-sink frame. No record of the date of purchase, also checked PE publications back to 2012 without published information. Google PE part number 264-898 for a picture....regards, Michael

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.