Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

help with FAST setup
help with FAST setup
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2017, 02:10 PM   #1
twoNibbles is offline twoNibbles  United States
diyAudio Member

Default help with FAST setup

Okie dokie, here we go. So my first project was recently completed. Well sort of I haven't applied a veneer or finish yet but that will wait until I am satisfied with the setup. Any ways my first project was a pair of uFonkens and really they truly do sound excellent even without a baffle step correction (which I can feel the need for) and even without bass. That last one is a serious problem though! I need a touch more bass. I have a tendency to ramble on these forums so I'll list out my questions and gladly converse with you in the comments.

Before my questions first my plan:
two silver flute 5.5" drivers in individual cabinets. Side mounted drivers rear mounted ports. Passive XO at 2kHz using 2nd order low pass filter. No XO on the uFonkens.

1st question: Does that seem reasonable? Have I missed something in my research and made a terrible decision?

2nd question: Would I be better off building a singular enclosure to combine the FF85wk and Silver Flute or is this modular design just fine?

3rd question: 10USD for an inductor!?!? Ok that's just me whining...

4th question: For now I have a cheap class D amp with only a right and left output. Will I be ok just jamming leads into the output for both the uFonken and the sub box? I'm thinking probably but looking for reassurance.

5th and final question... for now: Will I need to balance volume from the subs/FAs? I think probably. Is that usually accomplished with a resistor in series before or after the XO?

Whew thanks for sticking through all that. Thanks even more if you provide insightful feedback. It may seem lazy to just ask all these questions but in doing research this information seems fairly scattered and often conflicting or out of date!

Last edited by twoNibbles; 10th April 2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10th April 2017, 02:32 PM   #2
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
but in doing research this information seems fairly scattered and often conflicting or out of date!
.....and you think it's going to be different here? How precisely?........
Old 10th April 2017, 03:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
.....and you think it's going to be different here? How precisely?........
Just in that conversation can be had and pros and cons can be discussed between people of varying opinions. In perusing this forum I have found it not uncommon for people to ask questions specific to their own project and receive helpful, positive feedback.

Also when doing something new it is nice to have a place to speculate and discuss other various options.

Was I wrong to expect a positive environment or should I expect much more passive aggressiveness in the future? If my post is inappropriate for the community then please let a mod delete it.
Old 10th April 2017, 03:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNibbles View Post

Was I wrong to expect a positive environment or should I expect much more passive aggressiveness in the future?
It would probably be best to expect the unexpected and not take anything too personally
Old 10th April 2017, 07:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It would probably be best to expect the unexpected and not take anything too personally
Yes, sorry, shouldn't have fought fire with fire. No personal offense taken. I suppose worst case if no advice is given I will simply pursue my current plan and at best have a decent speaker system or at worst I'll learn something.
Old 10th April 2017, 07:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

That's ok, I certainly didn't mean to offend you, it was just a joke. But, the advice stands, some people can be pretty tough here and it really does pay not to take it too seriously.
Regards your post, I am interested, FAST set up seems to be getting more popular, I have one myself but open baffle too
Old 10th April 2017, 08:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The uFonkens do roll off quite high, I can see why you want more bass. Why have you chosen 5.5in woofers? Is space an issue?
Old 10th April 2017, 08:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The uFonkens do roll off quite high, I can see why you want more bass. Why have you chosen 5.5in woofers? Is space an issue?
Space and cost. Mostly space. I mean, if space weren't a concern then the uFonkens were a bad choice. I hoped I could get away without a sub. Wrong, so now I'm going this route to bring performance up to what I would like. Then I may consider reevaluating my requirements and attempt a different project to better suit my needs while shifting this system to somewhere else.

All that said it seems like the 5.5s should be able to get pretty low. Will it be low enough? Dunno. Guess I will find out.
Old 10th April 2017, 11:03 PM   #9
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

help with FAST setup
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNibbles View Post
two silver flute 5.5" drivers in individual cabinets. Side mounted drivers rear mounted ports. Passive XO at 2kHz using 2nd order low pass filter. No XO on the uFonkens.

1st question: Does that seem reasonable? Have I missed something in my research and made a terrible decision?

2nd question: Would I be better off building a singular enclosure to combine the FF85wk and Silver Flute or is this modular design just fine?

3rd question: 10USD for an inductor!?!? Ok that's just me whining...

4th question: For now I have a cheap class D amp with only a right and left output. Will I be ok just jamming leads into the output for both the uFonken and the sub box? I'm thinking probably but looking for reassurance.

5th and final question... for now: Will I need to balance volume from the subs/FAs? I think probably. Is that usually accomplished with a resistor in series before or after the XO?
In Tysen V2 we use 2 Silver Flute W14 + FF85wk in an integrated enclosure, but seperate boxes would be fine.

With a single W14 you might have some issues with getting the level high enuff.

With no XO on the uFonken, 2 kHz is way too high for the W14. This is an ideal situation for using a plate amp(s) for the woofers.

We have designed, but not tested a passive XO for Tysen V2. XO is at about 250 Hz.

dave
Old 11th April 2017, 12:38 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Good info. Thank you!

Quote:
With a single W14 you might have some issues with getting the level high enuff.
I did plan on using two. Maybe unnecessarily. Is it not typical to do a sub for the right and left channel?

Quote:
This is an ideal situation for using a plate amp(s) for the woofers.
Something I had not considered. Until just now I did not know that plate amplifiers only handled low frequencies. I wish I had known that earlier! I suppose this would solve my crossover problem as well as level matching. Seems like a large added cost though.

I think I will attempt the passive XO unless you think that level matching will be a nightmare... Ok I went and read about it briefly before posting. While I might be confused what I think we are worried about in this regard is SPL or sensitivity. Seems these drivers sensitivities are quite similar? Is this a non issue?

I looked up your Tysen design. I suppose it is probably one of your posts I read suggesting the Silver Flute be paired with the ff85wk. I'm grateful for guys like you paving the path for the rest of us.

help with FAST setupHide this!Advertise here!