Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

help with FAST setup
help with FAST setup
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2017, 02:55 PM   #41
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

help with FAST setup
Ground loops from a PC can be a problem that is hard to get rid of. I tend to use laptops and when in total fruistration, I run on batteries and disconnect from mains.

Try to not connect ground shell of 3.5mm or RCA jacks to earth/chassis GND directly. They should be connected to just signal GND on PCBs. PCB signal GND (clean ground) should be connected to Earth/chassis GND (Dirty gorund) via a 10R (ground loop breaker) resistor. Add back to back diodes in parallel for safety. There is a nice whitepaper here on tricks:

Audio Component Grounding and Interconnection

Grounding and Shielding for your DIY Audio Projects
Old 17th August 2017, 04:41 PM   #42
twoNibbles is offline twoNibbles  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Ground loops from a PC can be a problem that is hard to get rid of. I tend to use laptops and when in total fruistration, I run on batteries and disconnect from mains.

Try to not connect ground shell of 3.5mm or RCA jacks to earth/chassis GND directly. They should be connected to just signal GND on PCBs. PCB signal GND (clean ground) should be connected to Earth/chassis GND (Dirty gorund) via a 10R (ground loop breaker) resistor. Add back to back diodes in parallel for safety. There is a nice whitepaper here on tricks:

Audio Component Grounding and Interconnection

Grounding and Shielding for your DIY Audio Projects

Thank you! I have been searching and searching for articles like the two you linked even before I ordered my boards. This gives me a pretty nicely itemized list of things to do and the order in which I should try them. I will check back in when I have success or lack of success to report.
Old 20th August 2017, 01:37 AM   #43
twoNibbles is offline twoNibbles  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok first check on the itemized list was the one I thought was the most likely to work and indeed it did!

The biggest problem with what I was doing was providing a separate ground path to the XO board for each channel. by combining these ground paths for input, low out, and high out respectively the buzz is totally gone. This makes me super happy!

Now I need to put my active xo project in a plastic box. I'm going to draw a box for it and have my bud 3d print it. I plan on leaving this project as a floating ground. I don't see anything wrong with that unless you all want to talk me out of it. Using a plastic box I don't see much merit in a safety ground. I guess the RCA ground could become hot?

Next part of my project is testing the response with software and a mic. I would love direction to any resources you guys have used on this topic. In the mean time I'll be looking into that myself.

Thanks guys I certainly wouldn't have gotten this far without your guidance!
Old 20th August 2017, 09:08 AM   #44
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Hello again, you have been busy! Glad you are making progress. A couple more links on grounding for you, the first is by member Bonsai

http://hifisonix.com/wordpress/wp-co...-Autosaved.pdf
http://www.updatemydynaco.com/docume...lemsRev1p4.pdf
D. Joffe is also a member
Old 14th April 2018, 09:20 AM   #45
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

help with FAST setup
Default Progress ?

Hey twoNibbles, what happened to this project? Would like some feedback please.

help with FAST setupHide this!Advertise here!