LCR full range line array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
By 'enough' I suppose I mean would they reproduce a sound worth listening to. They would be matched to a single 15" dayton HO sub. Listening position would be 3m. Why is it exactly that the more is better? I was thinking the centre channel would be horizontal, but that may not work. Definitely no SL & SR for me, I'm still not convinced a centre is necessary :)

Yeah I've checked out the BFM designs, I would like to do full range though and avoid using a crossover.

I had a pair of 16-driver arrays before.

I was "enough" for me, and when my ears were within the 16-driver line of sight, it would sound great. Moving around the room wasn't so good though. So, they were not speakers made for ambient sound while doing other things around the room/house.

At "only" 16 drivers, they will need to be crossed much higher than what the other are pushing/asking from 25 drivers. Definitely a sub or two.

Wesayso's "the more the better" line was indeed, exactly that. Filling at least 75% of the distance from floor to ceiling is best, and why "not stop there" was a shot asking to also do the rear surrounds with line arrays. Even sub duty could be handled by the right line array of drivers! :D

With line arrays my opinion would be: floor to ceiling or don't do it at all.

If you do the floor to ceiling array you get certain benefits (that 75% distance of floor to ceiling should be about right).
It becomes a longer line when you include floor and ceiling reflections. While these reflections certainly aren't perfect, they do get rid of the usual floor and ceiling reflection as found in most speaker's output at the listening position.
When using a shorter array the sound level at certain frequencies will drop off fast when moving above the array itself. This is the combing. If you lift the array to get coverage when seated and standing up, you loose the floor reflection advantage and the ceiling reflection advantage. If you place it on the floor it might be too short when standing up.

I've counted the drivers in my array, when standing up the 16 driver array only reaches up to my chest. Meaning the sound will be compromised due to the comb effects eating away the entire top end.

So it has less to do with the added "oomph" of the bigger array and more to do with actual room integration. I wouldn't build an array anything shorter than at least 75% of the distance between floor and ceiling. Making sure the array continues well over my head when standing.

On another note: one can do wonderful things with ambient channels to improve Stereo enjoyment. :) It does not need to be surround sound.

A single sub has it's own room integration problems. I'd go for multiple smaller ones myself if relying on subs to cover the lower end.

If you do decide to go for the shorter array, try shading the array for possibly a better result than a straight short array. A Bessel configuration would be another option to try. They still won't act as a long array.

just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
I listen to an average of 88 to 92 dB usually, measured with a RadioShack SPL meter at the listening position while playing music. They will go louder.
Though I'm limited by my ~100 watt amplifier. I use DSP to boost the lows (and many other reasons). My thread is long, I know, but it has most answers I could give you.

I tried to share as much as possible. It has become one giant read but I hope it's worth it.

Yeah it's a massive thread! A great read though. I also have a 100w amp (@6ohm) so I don't think 16 x TC9's will cut it. It's a shame, I really want to do away with crossovers for my next build.

If you relieve the array's of producing the lower frequencies then you can get much more overall spl with a smaller amplifier. It's EQ'ing the low end that eats most of the power.

Is there a reason why 16? 20 to 25 gets the 75% coverage in most room heights and the drivers are fairly cheap when bought in bulk so the extra cost is less of an issue.

A horizontal straight array with no shading is a pretty bad idea as all the things that make them work upright work against them on their side!

Not so much a cost issue, 16 is just the next size down from 25 while being able to keep the same impedance as a single driver. Plus I don't particularly like the floor to ceiling look ;)
Visual impressions are very personal so that part is up to you. I would worry a 3/4 array would look like 3/4 pants to me, just not long enough :p

In all seriousness 16 is on the lower end of making the concept work and you lose some of the benefits of the longer line, no one has made a Vifa array that small that I have seen so there is no specific data to compare.

Any diy build is a bit of a gamble as to whether you will like the result, 16 will give about 50% coverage in a 2.8m high room.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.