Broken lead in/braided cone wires broken... how to replace?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 12 inch woofer removed from an electric organ and the lead in or braided cone wires are broken and need to be replaced. I can't reattach the broken ends, so they will need to be replaced all the way to the voice coil.

I've not done this particular surgery before, but have read up on the procedure and think I can pull it off. I have soldering skills, etc. but am an amateur all the way.

Must I use the braided wire sold for these kinds of repairs? There are no electronic shops around here... so is there a suitable substitute I can use?

Any tips/warnings/suggestions for me before I do this? Thanks.

Ah yes... good point. Thanks.

Braided wire can be found on ebay. Another source would be a blown speaker. Still another option would be to buy a foot of 1/8" outside diameter shielded cable. By removing the outer rubber insulation, the braid can be removed from the inner sleeve and conductor.

Disassembling the speaker is another thing. You stated you're an amateur so I take that to mean you've not yet disassembled a speaker. If that be the case, I strongly recommend seeking advice. That, of course, depends on where the wire is broken. Hopefully it isn't broken by the cone or the cone apex. In such case, you may be able to add a short piece and solder the two points. Use a solder flux as that old braid may be highly oxidized and the flux in the solder core may not be sufficient. Again, if the break is midway between the cone and its apex, use a small alligator clip as a heat sink to avoid heat transfer to the old paper cone, if the coil wire and braid are connected there as they usually are.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.