Can this Markaudio CHR-70 enclosure be done and still sound good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to replaced my Monitor Audio Radius 225 setup and would like something close in dimensions.

Can this Markaudio CHR-70 enclosure be done and still sound good?

1. Can an enclosure be approximately 5.5"w x 4"d x 24"l ?

2. Can they be placed on-wall with a front port?

Thanks!

The CHR70 can work quite nicely in a range of enclosure sizes and loading schemes. Is it an important factor to emulate the size / shape of the 225, which if I understand correctly is intended as a shallow, wall mount home theatre centre channel?

Of the several enclosures in which I've heard the CHR70, I think you'll get the maximum bass extension and weight from either the Pensil, or FH3 - both floorstanders. If you need a smaller / bookshelf , this is worth looking at http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/CGR-dCHR-Ken-301113.pdf

On reflection, my response should have included the question as to what is the intended application? I've always found that the bandwidth and intended operating levels should be included in the calculus of enclosure selection, and it's very rare that a small fullrange driver won't "work" in almost any but a grossly undersized enclosure- just not always close to optimal for the application when shoehorned into something in which it will physically fit and that meets an aesthetic goal.

In other words - maybe yes.

I should have probably included the speakers intended use in the original thread.

These particular speakers will be used 80% for TV and movies and 20% for casual background music. They will be combined with 2 Definitive Tech Supercube III subs and driven by a Marantz SR8001 receiver. I planned on replacing the Monitor Audio speakers as a 5.2 (Left, Center, Right, Rear + 2 subs) all in the approximate range of 5.5 x 4 x 24.

Once again, need to ask - are you constrained to those dimensions for all three by site conditions, or is it an aesthetic thing? Do any of them need to be wall hung, or is there an option for floorstanding units for at least the L &R mains?

In several of my own surround systems, I've found that floor standers for those channels and a small horizontally oriented cabinet for the centre on an equipment stand under the wall/stand mounted screen work very well. That location is often constrained in terms of space, and there's the temptation to stretch the cabinet dimensions to long and narrow - a la "sound bar" , but when doing so care needs to be taken with a vented enclosure that QW action is included in the calculations.

Take a look at the options in
http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/MT-HT-Appendix-191209.pdf - particularly page 3 & 6, Note the offset driver location in the latter, which acoustically would work just fine in any location, but driver would not be dead centre if mounted horizontally under the screen.

Note that as individual situations vary so much, none of the designs above include mounting / installation details. I've used Z-clips and recessed terminal cups to great effect. Attached photos show a system using Alpair6P with front row 3 and subs in wall mounted cabinets, - the rear/side surrounds were mounted on shelves.

I've built some, but not all of these, and they work just fine. To repeat myself, while I generally like using a floor standing designs, it's not always possible, and when employing bass management feature of current generations of DSP enabled receivers / processors, the front and surround channels can be relieved of LF burden to as high as the low 100-150 range - often well above were the bass response of smaller enclosures tend be curtailed with smaller full range drivers such as theCHR70 - although of course due to XMax limits, there will still be restrictions the maximum attainable SPLs

Attachments

• Teg system 002.jpg
    Teg system 002.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 263
  • Teg system 003.jpg
    Teg system 003.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 253
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.