Tang Band W4-1320SIF in a Minimus-3 Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, PE had the Tang Band W4-1320SIF on sale and one thing lead to another and I put them in some old Radio Shack Minimus-3 enclosures that I have with my Modulette "receiver". I closed off the perferations on the back with some MDF as well as some MDF on the front side, but cut out so the speaker would still mount on the original surface ( I did not want to set it back further into the enclosure). That made the enclosure more solid, but I may go back and add some more MDF to the inside sides.

The speakers sound so-so, but rather obviously are lacking on the high frequencies.
My RTA and some pink noise tell the tale... above 4-5k, thing drop off pretty fast and below 125 things drop off on the low end.
Web-IMG_7559-Edit.jpg

So this is what a correction EQ looks like Lows and highs get jammed to +12db and mids cut to -4db in places. I did not try to boost 20 and 25hz, partly because it make little difference on the RTA.
Web-IMG_7567-Edit.jpg

This does smooth things out nicely and it is somewhat humorous to hear these little speakers try to put out some lower bass notes in music. But only at very low level listening. Any kind of low-moderate levels quickly revealed that the speakers were reaching their excursion limits, so I rolled off things starting at 60hz. Boosting the bass and treble a bit to my taste and hearing capabilities makes them sound quite nice.
(yeah, this EQ is a 70's relic, but fun)
Web-IMG_7569-Edit.jpg

So with the EQ correction, these will make some nice near field speakers around my computer for low to moderate listening levels. I have an old sub-woofer that I think I will add to the mix, relieving the speakers of the load on the low end.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.