High quality floor standing speakers,full range plans for diy anyone have a link?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nope, non of us here have anything interesting to offer.

Seriously, you need to be a bit more specific than that, and keep in mind that the term "Full Range" as used in these fora is taken to mean single driver(s) operating over the widest portion of the audio band as possible.

A few questions regarding the application that help to narrow things down a bit would include:
- size of room / size / placement considerations for enclosures? Some of even single driver designs can be large enough to present some issues
- music genres / listening levels?
- amplifier type / power level available or anticipated?
- budget ?
- wood working tools / experience? Some designs are elaborate or time consuming enough to be more than a simple 1/2 weekend afternoon's work.

Hi Chris

Full range would be for me several drivers in a large ported cabinet. Two or more bass drivers/two or more midrange units tow or more hf units.
Size of room is 22ft x 16ft
Placement of speakers? Out in the room not a problem as partner loves loud music same as me at concert levels.
Rock & pop music mostly.
Amplifier: Transistor/cap Simaudio moon mono's 500 a side.
Any budget...
Engineer everyday job. Time not an issue..

Ahhh you mean amplified instruments.
Guess, I was thinking about that lovely young girl playing an harp the very last year. The peaks of the notes between the silence is loud :eek:
But you wrote Rock and Pop, I've should have read better

So you want "massage, massage..." :D
...and everything driven by one high power SS amplifier.
Only the woofers will see the signal directly, the other speakers being coupled trough a capacitor ( Joule !?! )

with Troels' designs, one of your prime questions is - how much do I want to invest in Jantzen Caps and coils?

Or decide to go active (omitting a lot of hard work from Troels, as he does know what he's doing!)

Troels has many designs to choose from. There are some others you might want to consider, in the end choose what fits you room.

Repost in multi-way or have this thread moved there. I'd advise you to do a lot more research before asking questions, or just follow the build instructions closely.
The Multi way forum is filled with builds like you have in mind. Reading up on a specific model can answer many questions.

Choose wisely, it's not only the speakers that counts. It's how they can work in your room that matters!

Its the right place you found, the multi-way sub forum has a ton of info.
If you want help, just try and give as much info as you can.

What you call big, could be small for others :). I could even suggest my own speakers would fit your bill, but not everyone would want to have them. Should be right up your alley as I am an engineer/mechanical designer originally :D.

As Ronald notes, active definitely has many advantages - thanks to minidsp, there's now far more affordable and flexible crossover and EQ / room correction solutions available to the DIYer community. DSP allows for things that simply can't be achieved in the analog domain.

I have to say in all honesty: I've seen what a set of Troels speakers measure like in an awesome room, not much (if anything) wrong with them. I wouldn't have a problem advising anyone to follow a build plan like that as a first time project.

Passive is probably as good as it's designer is capable of, and Troels certainly is highly skilled I.M.H.O.
Same goes for Active, it will only work well if you know what you're doing.

Last edited:
Out in the room not a problem as partner loves loud music same as me at concert levels.

Hmm, are you aware of how much acoustic power is required to reach live concert levels at low distortion even in your acoustically fairly small room?

My ~corner loaded 20 ft^3 dual 15", 500 Hz horns/chnl in a 16 x 24 ft room can only comfortably do piano bar, THX mains channel levels, though back when the 15"s were ~70 Hz corner horn loaded and had an extra dual 15" sub/chnl it would do front row center at the Atlanta Symphony and about half field away at Bob Dodd Stadium back in the 'early '80s ARS, Bob Seger, etc., concerts before Pink Floyd at Atlanta Stadium, Ted Nugent, Deep Purple at the Fabulous Fox Theater [had to step out a couple of times for this one's alleged 140+ dB!], etc., stepped it up several notches to the point where I finally quit going to anything louder than a Swing Band or oldies concert.

Anyway, PA style horns, arrays required for concert levels at low distortion, just not nearly as many.

GM

Indeed, perhaps before proceeding, dave and partner need to ascertain just exactly how loud their definition of "concert levels" is - even the cheapest smart phone apps should get you in the right ball-park.

120+ db is pretty freakin loud - sustained listening at even 20dB below that level can almost certainly cause at least short term hearing damage.

120+ dB/listening position at low distortion?

GM

Nehhh, you got me there.... he'd be better of buying a set of Danley SH50 or up series and support them on the bottom end with a good sub system.

I don't think even Bwaslo's current Synergy Lite, complete with plans is up for that?

I have another idea: https://soundforums.net/forum/low-earth-orbit/diy-audio/12390-60-degree-diy-mid-hi

With the right bottom end this might do. Member Mark100 posted interesting measurements of them on pos's RePhase thread. They probably won't be as loud as the Danleys but are DIY and sane in size.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.