Full Range TC9 Line Array CNC Cabinet

For me it worked quite well to have the array closer to that damping panel, as it took out first side wall reflections as seen from the listening position. I'm guessing that side wall reflection would hit in front of the panel as it stands right now (as seen if you put a mirror there from the listening spot). I'm guessing this was just a preliminary picture to show off though? :)

Looks very slick fluid - I am a little late to the game but wanted to mention that you will increase the absorption by keeping the sides open.

If waves are allowed to enter from the sides you effectively increase surface area used for absorption.
I considered doing that but decided against it, I wasn't sure I really needed more absorption. I could still do it on all the others but it's quite a lot more work, hmmm

For me it worked quite well to have the array closer to that damping panel, as it took out first side wall reflections as seen from the listening position. I'm guessing that side wall reflection would hit in front of the panel as it stands right now (as seen if you put a mirror there from the listening spot). I'm guessing this was just a preliminary picture to show off though? :)
The reflection is on the far left of the last picture, the positioning is not fixed yet but I did plan to put the larger width panels across the corners as shown to be bass traps. The original plan was to have another panel to the left for that reflection. It may work better to have the panels behind the arrays rather than across the corners to try and reduce the 140Hz null, time will tell as I will test both. But you are right it was a good position to show the scale compared to the array ;)

I could always build more panels but then I really would be in a LEDE room :D

Nicely done.
How stable do you find that Bosch sliding compound saw on the folding stand shown?
Thanks, the stand is good but not quite as stable as on a bench, just needs a bit more care to keep things in line when doing sliding cuts. The saw throws a fair bit of dust even when hooked up to a vacuum so I tried the stand to make it easier to clean up, works well so far.

and your shop is far too clean :D
Ha Ha it didn't look quite so good a few weeks ago, I had to clean it up to be able to do some more work :)

Next one underway, I decided to put some holes in the side to try the idea of increasing absorption.

Then I remembered why I decided not to before :D

attachment.php

Ready for glue up

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG20191020113100.jpg
    IMG20191020113100.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG20191020122011.jpg
    IMG20191020122011.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 695
Definitely lighter I just hope not too wobbly when upright.

Ages ago there was a specific aircraft that suffered from a particular spar failure. Stress tests showed that the bending forces from flight buckled a sheer web support wall. At the center of this buckling point a crack was allowed to form and this mitigated and proved catastrophic.

Solution? A single, smooth and polished edge hole at the center point of the forces at play, preventing the bending forces to ever meet :)

I would acieve a similar result by cutting out 25% of the depth of the side panel, to form a gap between side panel and wall.
The point is to have as a much surface area of the absorbent exposed without compromising the structure of the frame too much. GIK use an ellipse cut into the sides which seems a good solution but the holesaw was easier if messier.

Second panel is finished now, no point in a picture as it looks just like the first one :)

The point is to have as a much surface area of the absorbent exposed without compromising the structure of the frame too much. GIK use an ellipse cut into the sides which seems a good solution but the holesaw was easier if messier.

Second panel is finished now, no point in a picture as it looks just like the first one :)

Some people just like to suffer! :)

No more holes on the next two panels as these are for reflection control

Side by side (display only)

attachment.php

Moved into better position with mirror

attachment.php

Other side

attachment.php

No time for measurements as yet but in a quick listening test I had to remove the 60Hz boost I had put into one channel to deal with a null before. Had quite an enjoyable time listening, not right yet but new measurements and redoing the correction should help.

I came across a song mentioned by mark in another thread "Batshit" by Sofi Tukker, I recognised it from the iphone advert, bit of a weird song but sounds awesome when the speaker is full range :)

Attachments

• IMG20191025110721.jpg
    IMG20191025110721.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG20191025120252.jpg
    IMG20191025120252.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG20191025120548.jpg
    IMG20191025120548.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 351
I like your several shades of grey decorating scheme.
Looks like those panels are deep enough to stand up on their own, which is convenient.
The nice thing about line arrays is the only treatment you need is vertical panels. No hanging things from the ceiling or trying to pad the floor.

The last couple of panels I built were made from 1"x8" fingerjoint pine boards from Home Depot, with 6" thick x 23" paper backed fiberglass stapled inside the frame to close the back with paper. Really inexpensive and quick construction.

Last edited:
The nice thing about line arrays is the only treatment you need is vertical panels. No hanging things from the ceiling or trying to pad the floor.

Indeed, I have hardwood floors and smooth concrete as ceiling - its a feature as far as straight line arrays goes :D

I do have absorption panels in my room though, corners and all walls in various amounts. Most is behind the listening position as its too close for effective diffusion.