Full Range TC9 Line Array CNC Cabinet

The drivers free air resonance goes up when placed in a box, the TC9 went from 124Hz to somewhere between 140 and 170Hz.

It is hard to say exactly what will happen for another driver. The closer the tolerance of the drivers the less likely things will change too much.

Here is an image of the individual impedances along with the combined in box impedance

attachment.php

Attachments

• 25 individual vs combined.jpg
    25 individual vs combined.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 853
Thnks. So it look like you're showing that even with 25 drivers together the impedance bump still went higher in a cabinet. It looks like multiple drivers has little to no effect on fs, unless the cabient was very small. The red curve is 25 together right?

Last edited:
Yes the red curve is 25 together in a cabinet. The effect of multiple drivers is to spread or flat top the impedance peak in comparison to a single driver. The only reason there is a difference is due to the drivers not being exactly the same. Theoretically if they were perfect there would be no difference.

Restarting

I have recently decided to get my arrays back in service in their new home with some additions

I sold my Linkwitz Orion system and most of the money burned through my pocket quickly :)

Here is large piece of printed fabric to be used in a panel on the back wall as it is very close, part of a significant attempt to reduce early reflections

attachment.php

A pair of MOD686 boards from Tom Chr

attachment.php

And a pair of Dayton RSS390HF-4 subs, I have procrastinated about these for ages and a 10% offer tipped me over the edge, Vd of 1161cm3, each about 4 to five times what a single array can do

attachment.php

Attachments

• MOD686_R1p0_ASSY_SMD.jpg
    MOD686_R1p0_ASSY_SMD.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG20190712135632.jpg
    IMG20190712135632.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 389
  • 295-468_HR_0.jpg
    295-468_HR_0.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 362
I sold my Linkwitz Orion system and most of the money burned through my pocket quickly :)

Now, why does that happen to us all? Can't pockets be made stronger :)

Here is large piece of printed fabric to be used in a panel on the back wall as it is very close, part of a significant attempt to reduce early reflections

Hope the money was not spent mostly on the fabric! :D

Jokes aside, Tom's Mod-686 should be a good addition to your system. And that 15" Dayton sub looks like it means business... your house is about to get a mighty wallop... that is when you've done some building and ready to rock and roll.

Good to see you back at the game!

That looks exciting plan : )

Are those nice mod686 power amps intended to drive arrays or subs or is it for both ?
Thanks it is exciting to divert my attention away from renovations for awhile :)

MOD686 is for the arrays

I hope they are for the arrays. If I didn't have the Goldmund clone, these would have been on my wish list.
Yep arrays, they might resemble the Goldmund clone a little from the outside as they will be in a 5U chassis that I already have.

Now, why does that happen to us all? Can't pockets be made stronger :)

Hope the money was not spent mostly on the fabric! :D

Jokes aside, Tom's Mod-686 should be a good addition to your system. And that 15" Dayton sub looks like it means business... your house is about to get a mighty wallop... that is when you've done some building and ready to rock and roll.

Good to see you back at the game!
Ha Ha! The printed fabric was not expensive as they had a free shipping offer on, if only Parts Express had the same offer!

The sub drivers should be here soon so I have trying out a design

I am thinking of this for the front panel

attachment.php

Inspired by this Dynaudio sub, mine will be much bigger though :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• TrueBass9S-large.jpg
    TrueBass9S-large.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 287
  • dynaudio_acoustics_9s_true_bass_compact_9_5_1385107.jpg
    dynaudio_acoustics_9s_true_bass_compact_9_5_1385107.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 289
  • Sub Front Render.png
    Sub Front Render.png
    128.6 KB · Views: 296
Thanks Zia I am trying to build something that doesn't just look like a big square box! Which is hard when it is big and square :)

Amp modules are in transit, power supplies ordered, in two weeks I am taking some time off to make a dent in setting this all up so should be more happening then.

Subs and MOD686 boards have arrived, just waiting on the rest of the parts

Managed to sell my LX521 system, so I don't feel too bad about buying the extras for the line array, I want to give wesayso's ambient speakers a try. The JBL actives are less useful now so I think they will find a new home behind the couch :)

Last edited: