New project - Fostex FE126eN in a small PR enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you. 4 or 5 years ago a build a few foam boxes for Fostex drivers (mini Karlsonator was one) and it woke my music listening desires after a long time away from music. So I understand the sentimental part. Now looking for something a bit nicer looking for the listening room. FE126EN is a contender. Any enclosure ideas/suggestions?

For the FE126En, I'd go for a big BLH and call it good. I found them very difficult to mate them with another driver as the Fostex unit adds a little harmonic distortion, making it sound louder than the other driver(s) in the box. I was constantly messing with changing levels of each driver until I figured out it was the FE126 that wasn't acting linearly. As a result, I can only recommend using them on their own.

A small PR box works for nearfield or quiet use, but if you want to fill a room well, you need to give them more help in the form of a horn.

Chris

Having heard several iterations of the FE126 drivers ( both stock and with EnABL treatment) in a fair range of BLH designs - including the horrendous “factory” hybrid enclosure- as well as a very specific application ( home theatre centre channel) compact vented design, I’d concur that these babies cry out for a decent BLH- of which there are many.

BLH I’ve heard them in/ built are:
Horneshoppe Horn
Ron Clarke’s Austin 126
Frugel Horn Marks 1 & 3 *
Madisound BK12 *
Decware DNA
Woden Valiant*

* designates designed by Scott Lindgren

While the FH3 has been a fairly successful design - certainly aesthetically pleasing to most eyes- given the larger floor /room space requirements, I’d probably give the edge to the Valiant for a larger soundstage and more dynamic low end.

Dave is a Rock Star

Dave,

Thank you. You are a Rock Star for many. You have been so helpful in continually providing info to people getting involved in this "hobby". So many are indebted to you and the many other enthusiasts who take time out of their lives to help others. Muchly appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.